Interestingly I've recently bricked 4 or 5 O2+ and none of the usual solutions allowed me to unbrick them. I bricked an Omega 2Pro using the same custom firmware build and was able to unbrick it using the factory reset process. However, the firmware that is installed is missing some critical files, including ap_client, wifisetup etc. The only way to recover the device is using a second device to replace the missing files.
@an-arshadali the MAC address is not changing, there's just different MAC addresses for the 3 different network interfaces (WiFi AP, WiFi client, and ethernet). So each Omega2 device is allocated 3 sequential MAC addresses at manufacturing.
With raspberry pi1 (the 2011 model) the screen are working but not with omega that not recognize them.
I will probably resell my omega and various accessories because the assistance is not very helpful :-/
The grpcio wheel includes a shared object library. There are downloads for AMD and ARM architectures but not MIPS (as used by the Omega).
Someone could provide a build for the Omega but this hasn't been done perhaps because it may hit the device's resource constraints.
An alternative -- if you're not bound to Python -- is to use one of the other languages (for which there are protobuf generators) that supports cross-compilation (and static binaries) including Golang and Rust. With Golang, you may develop on one platform and then cross-compile the code to run it on an Omega:
GOOS=linux GOARCH=mipsle go build -o your-binary /path/to/main.go
I used the Golang helloworld sample and the client produces a ~12MB binary that runs on the Omega.
I had some issues with the recovery process on 2 of my 2+. It seems the reset to factory firmware takes a very long time on these units. Not sure why and didn't investigate, but I just let them run and went out for a couple of hours and they were good when I rebooted them.
The most common problems I have always come back to the power source.
@cas several years ago a google engineer released some review on usb-c type plugs/cables that revealed just how many of them were faulty, seemed incorrect/bad resistors being most common. google engineer Benson Leung published a list of ok cables/adapters on his google+ page which ceased to exist recently and someone else created this posting of his findings, https://bensonapprovedcom.wordpress.com/
google sells some models on their store but they are pricey. at least much more than in 2016. i bought off that list on amazon and spent ~$12US for a kit that had a usb-c male to usb-a male cable [for attach a android phone to win 10 box] plus a usb-a female to usb-a female to create the needed usb-a female host port for OTG. ebay has some also, usually cheaper.
@Jake-Fulford did yo manage to create a product grade solution with the Omega? I put my project on the back burner for a while but now I am back at it. I guess some external watchdog + power cycling circuit is needed but I am just wondering if you thought of something.
I also had been facing same problem since last year. and have not got proper solution.
There is alternate solution through which i get out of this issue and that is power supply.
change the power supply Pin-board, that means plugin omega somewhere else from where you get proper supply (i got it by using this).
or change power supply mode through USB directly from your computer usb port.
or use a 3-pin adaptor/plug (i.e. which adaptor have 3 pin).
Hope this will resolve your issue.
i know this is quite not proper technical solution but beleive me i got it by using point no 1 and 3