We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Monitor cells in a battery array?

• I have a PV system w/ a 16cell battery array. I'd like to monitor the health of the array as well as individual cells. Has anyone seen or done a project like that? I'm trying to get pointed in the right direction. Any advice?

• administrators

@Matt-Stone you need some type of battery management system (BMS) with serial output. Here is an example of it.

I haven't used this exact device myself the most challenging part would be trying to decode the protocol they encode all the data with.

• Hi Matt,

Looking to do something similar, in my case I just want to monitor two voltages in my system:

• PV voltage (0-150V)
    • Battery bank (40V-80V)

I ordered an AD7999 A/D converter from control everything. My board has 4 ports, but I think they sell A/D converters with more ports. Don't know if you can use multiple of the same, since the I2C address I think is hardcoded.

Just getting started with my project

Bas

• that's sounds similar to my project. The battery monitor on my power wall monitors the entire array. I want individual readings on each battery in the array. 8x6v in series = 48v system.... (I also have PV in, so I may hook that up also šŸ˜‰ )

If you make progress. I hope you report in here. I'll do the same.

• My first finding: the COntrolEverything AD7999 does not work with the provided Python code šŸ™‚ Reading are not reliable. Will see if I can get the C version cross compiled

• i haven't made much progress on this. I'm not sure how to really begin. Does anyone have a conceptual wiring diagram that I could start from? If I made a GitHub project would you guys contribute?

thanks
    -stone

• @Zheng-Han I'm not sure I need a BMS. The system has a smarter inverter/charger for AC and a MPPT solar charge controller. I'm really just looking for a way to monitor DC voltage in at several points in the system (maybe as many as ~20 -- 16 batteries, 3 PV strings).

In my case, the batteries in my array are sealed lead acid. I found this BMS Voltage Display Energy Transfer Equalizer, Lead Acid 4/ 8 /16 string 36V 48V 60V Lithium Battery Protection Plate

think we would have any luck connection this to an onion somehow? think it would do what I'm describing?

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.