We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Cloning an Omega's image

• Hey,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I’ve been working on a specific project for quite a while now and have got to the point where I would like to make a couple of units.

My question is, whats the recommended approach to clone an Omega's image onto either a SD card or USB so I can then flash it onto other Omegas. Probably over USB with the expansion dock or with the ethernet dock.
    ( https://onion.io/2bt-firmware-flashing-from-usb-storage/)

I’ve been reading about the dd command which sounds promising:
    https://superuser.com/questions/365256/how-to-make-an-image-of-a-bootable-flash-drive-without-wasting-space-as-with-dd

Am I ok to just go ahead and try doing this over usb with dd? or are there complications with unique MAC addresses etc?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Oli

• @Oli-Woods said in Cloning an Omega's image:

My question is, whats the recommended approach to clone an Omega's image onto either a SD card or USB so I can then flash it onto other Omegas. Probably over USB ...

• go to http://repo.onion.io/omega2/images/
    • choose an image (for example omega2-v0.1.10-b160.bin for Omega2 or omega2p-v0.1.10-b160.bin for Omega2+)
    • do download it to your computer
    • simple copy it onto the root directory of a FAT formatted USB (pen)drive
    • rename it to omega2.bin

Done.

Good luck!

• Thanks György!

However I would like it to be a custom image. I've got about 5 python modules, a couple of python and sh scripts as well as a modification to the .etc file which I would like to include.

• @Oli-Woods said in Cloning an Omega's image:

However I would like it to be a custom image.

OK 🙂
    If I were you I'd put those all custom stuff also to the USB drive and install / copy them to Omega2(+) with a little shell script.
    Later on - if everything is well - I'll try to make a real custom image because it is a fairly complicated process.

Think about it - b160 (2017-03-01) is the latest working image and not even Onion / @Lazar-Demin was able to release an improved version during the last eight (8) months ;-).

• To start, you need to learn about the difference between the read-only filesystem, and the writeable overlay.

You either need the same read-only version and an image of the overlay (or script to create it) or else you need to generate your own read-only images with your exact configuration. Normally that would be done by building from source, but after broken promise after broken promise, that still doesn't result in something with working wifi...

• @György-Farkas said in Cloning an Omega's image:

If I were you I'd put those all custom stuff also to the USB drive and install / copy them to Omega2(+) with a little shell script.

Got it, I think this is what I will do.

From yours and Chris's replies I think a custom image would be best avoided!

• OFF TOPIC
    downvote - I only just noticed I got one :-). It doesn't bother me but I would like to know how it works.
    Can anyone give a downvote without name and explanation or is this something only the OP can do?
    Thank you for your answer in advance.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.