We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Disable AP and utilize wireless client only

• There is a project I'm working on that I would like to be able to disable and enable the wireless AP while maintaining the wireless client connection.

I've tried modifying the /etc/config/wireless and /etc/config/network files with no luck.

If anyone has been able to do this successfully, please respond.

I am using a Onion Omega 2+ with latest updates.

• @JD-H Did you ever get this resolved?

• This has been answered in earlier threads, you cannot disable the ap without disabling the client. The bets approach is to hid the SSID.

• @David-Starling This is also an evergreen topic 😉
    We can't just disable Omega2's AP and keep its WiFi client -
    either with the MediaTek driver or the Onion's Enhanced WiFi driver (the WARP CORE).
    See also FAQ: How do I turn off the Omega's WiFi Access Point?

I think a hidden AP doesn't really do anything. A strong password is a real solution.
    So Omega2's WiFi AP is always on. Is it a problem indeed?

• @György-Farkas I would disagree regarding hiding SSID. Hiding an SSID and adding complex password is the solution, not just a complex password. Most users do not know how to connect to a hidden SSID and my users repeatedly asked me about what the "network" was. If you hide the SSID you no longer have to deal with the issue.

• @crispyoz OK. This is a point of view.

Most users do not know how to connect to a hidden SSID and my users repeatedly asked me about what the "network" was.

And now your users can say: "I can't see 'Omega-ABCD' among the WiFi APs. Why?"
    Please let us know what do you allow your users to do on their (own?) Omega2s.

BTW my question was:

Omega2's WiFi AP is always on. Is it a problem indeed?

• @György-Farkas ok you are correct it is a point of view. I develop IoT device. The user can see the AP they use it for configuration, once the device is on the user Wifi hide the ap as it has fulfilled its purpose. If user needs to reset the device, follow reset procedure which exposes the ap, user configures IoT device, hide the ap.

• @György-Farkas It is a problem, since my client wants to to turn the AP off when the user is not configuring the IoT device, and other products allow this. The hidden SSID is a work around that is likely to be OK, but is not the proper fix. Even as a hidden SSID, it is still broadcasting and adding an extraneous AP to an already crowded WiFi spectrum.

I don't understand why this is a limitation? Either driver should provide such a feature. Another project using a Marvell chip has no problem turning of the AP while leaving STA mode operational.
    With the number of inquiries about this request, it seems like a reasonable feature request for a future version of the drivers.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.