We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Does node.js not include packages in opkg yet?

• Node file/directory/module loading
    https://nodejs.org/api/modules.html

• @Boken-Lin Nope i copied the entire folder containing the compiled hello world example and launched a repl in the folder that i posted above.

• @Philipp-Czarnetzki I think in order to require a module, you will need to put it in node_modules directory. If you just have the hello directory, you should try require('./hello/hello');.

• @Boken-Lin I've placed it in a hello folder within node_modules but if i require it like you said i get a Module/File not found, i also placed a package.json in there but it wont work

• @Philipp-Czarnetzki Did you change the name of your JS file in the hello folder to index.js? I believe that's the default file name for the require system to start looking.

• @Boken-Lin Ok, so I'm having an issue running a node package on the Omega. Node works fine for simple things, but with the node-tweet-stream NPM package (installed on my Mac first, then copied over to the Omega), I continue to receive an error (see below). I backed my Mac node version down to v0.10.5 and ran the script without error. However, when the same exact script is run on the Omega, I get the following error. Note that node-tweet-stream is an uncompiled module....any ideas??

/mnt/sda1/node-tweet-stream/node_modules/node-tweet-stream/lib/twitter.js:270
      this.stream.abort()
                  ^
    TypeError: Cannot call method 'abort' of null
        at Twitter.abort (/mnt/sda1/node-tweet-stream/node_modules/node-tweet-stream/lib/twitter.js:270:15)
        at null.<anonymous> (/mnt/sda1/node-tweet-stream/node_modules/node-tweet-stream/lib/twitter.js:257:10)
        at Request.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:95:17)
        at IncomingMessage.<anonymous> (/mnt/sda1/node-tweet-stream/node_modules/node-tweet-stream/node_modules/request/request.js:965:12)
        at IncomingMessage.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:95:17)
        at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:132:14)
        at IncomingMessage.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:113:10)
        at HTTPParser.parserOnBody [as onBody] (http.js:140:22)
        at CleartextStream.socketOnData [as ondata] (http.js:1535:20)
        at CleartextStream.read [as _read] (tls.js:470:10)

• @Steve-Fister Hmmm, that's very strange. From the error message it seems that this wasn't correctly referenced, so it's an empty object. What was the line in your code that triggered this error?

• @Boken-Lin Well, it appears that something is missing from either the node.js package or from the OS. I've tried several twitter node modules, all with varying degrees of failure (yet work on my Mac perfectly fine). In particular, the errors seem to indicate the problem is with authenticating to Twitter apis (I have verified the credentials do work as this EXACT same script runs on the Mac).

My code running in index.js is very simple:

var Twit = require('twit')

var T = new Twit({
        consumer_key:         'XXX'
      , consumer_secret:      'XXX'
      , access_token:         'XXX'
      , access_token_secret:  'XXX'
    })

//
    //  filter the twitter public stream by the word 'mango'.
    //
    var stream = T.stream('statuses/filter', { track: 'mango' })

stream.on('tweet', function (tweet) {
      console.log(tweet)
    })

• Oh, and this was a different node package called "twit". Here is the error received from running this:

{ [Error: Bad Twitter streaming request: 401]
      code: null,
      allErrors: [],
      twitterReply: '<html>\\n<head>\\n<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>\\n<title>Error 401 Unauthorized</title>\n</head>\n<body>\n<h2>HTTP ERROR: 401</h2>\n<p>Problem accessing \'/1.1/statuses/filter.json?track=mango\'. Reason:\n<pre>    Unauthorized</pre>\n</body>\n</html>\n',
      statusCode: 401 }

• @Steve-Fister This is helpful. I'm guess the error encountered with the other twitter plugin is the same thing. this referred to the request object, and because twitter responded with an error, it didn't contain a stream object. Now let's try to figure out why twitter responds with 401. Twitter says that 401 message means the following:

Authentication credentials were missing or incorrect.
    Also returned in other circumstances, for example all calls to API v1 endpoints now return 401 (use API v1.1 instead).

But you are saying that you are using the same code on both instances?

• @Boken-Lin Well I think the "this" problem was specific to that script because it couldn't authenticate and as such, did not receive a stream. I've tested three different Twitter packages and they all pretty much fail with an authentication error. And, like I also mentioned, if I run the exact same scripts on my Mac, they all run just fine. These scripts don't all use the OAuth libraries either, so it's not and OAuth issues either. I'm thinking either the port of node v0.10.0 on OpenWRT is not complete, or there is a fundamental problem at the OS level on the Onion. However, I think it's more at the Node level, because I can run a curl script against the Twitter streaming API and authenticate just fine.

• @Steve-Fister Can you send me a copy of your sources? I would like to try it out to figure out what the issue is. I've been able to make HTTP requests using node without much issue on the Omega, and I don't think the twitter login system requires any special HTTP request features.

• @Boken-Lin You can grab one from here that I am currently using: https://github.com/ttezel/twit

I've also tried:

https://github.com/SpiderStrategies/node-tweet-stream
    https://github.com/desmondmorris/node-twitter

FWIW, I don't think its a HTTP request problem either. I'm hoping you find similar issues (although I would LOVE to get this working!), maybe it will identify an issue somewhere.

Thanks!

• @Steve-Fister Ok. I'll try it out and let you know!

• @Boken-Lin FWIW, I have tested the node.js request module and have verified that I can indeed receive content from a HTTP request.

• @Steve-Fister Yeah. I'm still trying to pinpoint the issue that's causing the error. So far all HTTP requests have been okay.

• @Steve-Fister @Boken-Lin I have given this a try, maybe I have a bit more info.

First I copied over twit. I built it on my mac. I ran into issues with 2 things, har-validator and uuid. These both have bin files. The error I get actually has to do with creating the symlinks when extracting the tar file.

tar: can't create symlink from ./twitter/node_modules/twit/node_modules/request/node_modules/.bin/har-validator to ../har-validator/bin/har-validator: Operation not permitted
    ./twitter/node_modules/twit/node_modules/request/node_modules/.bin/uuid
    tar: can't create symlink from ./twitter/node_modules/twit/node_modules/request/node_modules/.bin/uuid to ../node-uuid/bin/uuid: Operation not permitted 

I tried to create these myself but wasn't able to. I then ran the simple hello world example, which doesn't use streams like Steve was using, and I don't get a code error, but it comes back telling me it can't authenticate. I tried this same example on my mac it is is successful.

Twit has one dependency, request, which has many including the two mentioned above. I decided to create another project using just it - no twit. I get the same errors about the bin files, but I was able to connect to and open and display a web page. So the basic request functionality is working, but not when it comes to authenticating. I can see that there would be issues with the bin files if they were used. Not sure what har-validator is needed for.

I guess we could try to cross-compile request to get the right form of the binaries and try again to link them or just copy them.

• Oh crap. Just realized I wasn't using 0.10.5 version of node. Tried to use nvm to switch version but not sure it is completely working. It errors doing a search. I don't think I can find twit that works with 0.10.5. I tried package twit-old, it only uses oauth, but I can't get it to work on my mac.

• @Chris-Ward excellent info! I was trying to narrow it down to a specific module, but hadn't gotten to uuid or har-validate. I did test it in v0.10.0 & v0.10.5 on my Mac and it still continued to work. At least we are on the right track! I'll see if I can't cross compile those two modules for use on this architecture. Thanks!!

• @Steve-Fister What did you use to get v0.10.5 node on your machine? Windows? OSX? Like I said NVM gave me issues. I couldn't find the twit package, and twit-old wasn't working on my mac.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.