We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

[resolved]GPS device disappeared on Omega2 LTE

• Hi,

I have been playing around with the Omega2 LTE for a week now and everything seemed to be working fine. It connected to my WiFi, read some GPS data when the antenna was connected and gave {"signal": false} when there was no antenna.

The last few days I was testing connectivity do a database and had the antennas disconnected for that time. When I reconnected them for a field test, I switched the board off with "poweroff" and additionally switched the power switch on the board itself.
    After booting up, there is no /dev/ttyACM* and "ubus call gps info" returns "Command failed: Not found". "ubus list" also doesn't list gps

I checked ogps and it's installed. I tried factory resetting, removing ogps and reinstalling. I can't flash firmware via USB because the USB port is currently used to power the board.

Any help to fix this would be highly appreciated

• @Viktor-Dück i'm wondering if you have a usb hub that has usb-c input to the omega2 LTE and both usb-c and usb-a output if you can run power to the LTE as well as use a standard usb flash drive to run recovery. or a usb splitter cable.

• @Douglas-Kryder that's a good idea, but I sadly don't have such a hub at home. Your suggestion led me to properly read the section about manually installing firmware though, and that helped as well to some degree.
    I downloaded the latest image and performed a "sysupgrade -n firmware.bin", which apparently completed successfully (it disconnected all shell sessions, but any files I had were deleted when I was able to log in again), but with no resolution to my problem. I'm still missing the device.
    I'm starting to think that my chip might be fried. dmesg doesn't give any hints either. There are no errors regarding any connectivity or even attempts at registering anything related to GPS. The GSM modem on the other hand is recognized and initialized.

• @Viktor-Dück The Omega2 LTE has a USB Type-C port. You can only power the board and could be connect to the Serial Console through this port.

I can't flash firmware via USB because the USB port is currently used to power the board.

The USB Host port of this board is not accessible (it's not exposed) because it's currently used by the LTE module.
    So flash the firmware via USB is not possible at all.

After booting up, there is no /dev/ttyACM* and "ubus call gps info" returns "Command failed: Not found". "ubus list" also doesn't list gps

According to the Omega2 LTE Guide the USB Host port is /dev/ttyUSB1.

Enable the GNSS Receiver - connect to the Omega’s command line and run the command:
    o2lte gnss enable
    The GNSS receiver needs to be enabled after every boot. This can be automated using the /etc/rc.local script - see also the guide.
    So after a Factory Reset and a repeated Initial Setup run the above command please.

Unfortunately I don't have an Omega2 LTE board - please correct me if I'm wrong.

• @György-Farkas looks like I only thought about automating that setting and then promptly forgot it ever existed...
    That was it, thank you!

What still bugs me is that there is no mention of the LTE board in the documentation whatsoever. A getting started guide is fine for the first setup and that's what I used, but after that I'd like to be able to find answers in the documentation. Or at least a link to the getting started guide, telling me thats where I need to look.

• @György-Farkas said in [resolved]GPS device disappeared on Omega2 LTE:

The USB Host port of this board is not accessible (it's not exposed) because it's currently used by the LTE module.

thanks. so i read the guide and there is no mention of firmware recovery for this LTE model. is that the case or is there some undocumented path like maybe just creating a serial connection from the interrupted boot sequence menu to a computer. or, maybe store a copy of the firmware in a special folder on the emmc . or did they give this LTE no recovery path? i've been thinking about getting this LTE to replace a particle electron but having had to do the recovery sequence on a few original omega2+ because of bad firmware, i'd won't buy one if recovery isn't possible.
    thanks for your insights, very helpful info.

• @Douglas-Kryder said in [resolved]GPS device disappeared on Omega2 LTE:

@György-Farkas said in [resolved]GPS device disappeared on Omega2 LTE:

thanks. so i read the guide and there is no mention of firmware recovery for this LTE model. is that the case or is there some undocumented path like maybe just creating a serial connection from the interrupted boot sequence menu to a computer. or, maybe store a copy of the firmware in a special folder on the emmc . or did they give this LTE no recovery path? i've been thinking about getting this LTE to replace a particle electron but having had to do the recovery sequence on a few original omega2+ because of bad firmware, i'd won't buy one if recovery isn't possible.
    thanks for your insights, very helpful info.

I thought we put our concerns regarding this USB recovery aspect to rest just after the project launched. Well, I seem to have been convinced enough so that I decided to back the project, but I can't seem to find that now...

• @cas i assumed at the time it was discussed earlier that the usb-c would have host and it was gonna be just adapting a usb drive to fit usb-c. it was a surprise to me that it does not have host. oh well.

• @Douglas-Kryder You could reflash ("unbrick") your Omega2 LTE with this method:
    Firmware Flashing With Web Recovery Mode

• @György-Farkas said in [resolved]GPS device disappeared on Omega2 LTE:

@Douglas-Kryder You could reflash ("unbrick") your Omega2 LTE with this method:
    Firmware Flashing With Web Recovery Mode

Note that the Reset button is connected to the active-high FW_RST/GPIO38 pin. To get to the bootloader prompt when using an Omega2S module, hold the SW_RST/GPIO38 pin at logical high while the device is booting.

does this mean jumper the fw-rst to ground at boot? thanks.

• @Douglas-Kryder You don't have to do anything special.

Connect to the Omega2’s Serial Console
    Switch the Power Off
    Press the RESET BUTTON and hold down (it's called "I. Programmable button" on Omega2 LTE, see Board Features - Front)
    Switch the Power On
    Release the RESET BUTTON

This will get you to the bootloader (UBoot) menu and you have 40 seconds to choose one of the options.

Please select option:
    [ Enter ]:
    [ 0 ]: Start Web recovery mode. -> Firmware Flashing With Web Recovery Mode
    [ 0 ]:
    [ 1 ]:
    [ 2 ]:

or

Please select option:
    [ Enter ]:
    [ 0 ]:
    [ 1 ]:
    [ 2 ]: Flash firmware from USB storage -> Firmware Flashing from USB Storage

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.