We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Broken power switch

• Today, while switching on my Omega through the switch on the mini-dock, the switch tab just broke off. Luckily the switch got stuck in the ON position, so I can just plug/unplug the cable to control power, but I was wondering if it is possible to get a replacement mini-dock.

Thanks!

• Broke 2 switches on my units. Not touching any other before replacing them. Extremely fragile.
    Still think that the Onion suite is the future of interfacing.
    Mind blowing power and ease of interfacing, a very strong BRAVO to the team.
    The Omega card is a pure work of art in PCB design.
    Yes Mr. Wozniak your philosophy when you designed the first Apples I/II has been taken to a new heights; share, give the intense power and pleasure of creativity to all with a brilliantly designed user interface.
    Very... Very impressed with the extreme power of the Omega and the talent of the Onion team to invent a new user friendly 'World Interface'.

• Hi @Giorgio-G.-Moscardi, I'm really sorry about the broken switch. It's our fault. We've learnt from our mistakes and implemented a more stringent quality control process. Would it be possible for you to help us with the shipping cost?

@Robert-St-Laurent: Thank you very much for your kind words!

• @Boken-Lin: Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I have some bad news: the switch just broke down on my second dock as well :(.

I can pay for the shipping, but since I am still waiting for the battery dock, maybe you can include them with that shipment? Or maybe you can even send me just the switches (or tell me where I can buy some good-quality ones with the same form factor): I can solder and can try replacing them myself.

• Switch broke down for my expansion dock as well. That too was the first time I was switching it on! 😞

• Hi @SukkoPera, Here's the link to the switches on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/10PCS-MSK-12C01-Tripod-Toggle-Switch/dp/B00VTPLQLM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447286664&sr=1-1&keywords=MSK-12C01. Yes, we can include them with the battery dock shipment, which will be going out in March. Would that be okay?

@swarupchandra-kamerkar So sorry! Was it in the ON or the OFF position?

• SMD soldering is my world ;^)
    If you can just send replacements that would be fine, but would they be the exact same model/manufacturer?
    If so SMD soldering is a very fragile art and I think that going for the same part number does not justify the risk, I would rather invest in a higher quality switch.
    If you can suggest a replacement of better quality I would get them directly from a supplier and be happy to pay these things go for under a dollar...
    Another honorable solution would to simply bridge the pads to the ON position with a simple wire. I did not find a situation where I could not simply reboot from power OFF and ON.
    Thank you for your prompt reply.

• @Boken-Lin looks like the switch is in OFF state. 😞

• Mine is broken too. 😳. What can I do from Yucatán in México ?

• administrators

@swarupchandra-kamerkar @Alberto-Mugnoz
    Sorry about that guys, we've learned a lot about quality control during this production run.

In the meantime, can you try (carefully) using something sharp and pointed like a needle to move what remains of the switch to the On position?
    Let us know how it goes

• Unfortunately for me the switch seems to have lost the knob such that it is impossible for me to move it.
    ( Murphy was really a great ,man! 🙂 )

• Hi @swarupchandra-kamerkar, can you try this?

Broken Dock

Here's a picture of a dock with broken switch. The part pointed by the red arrow is where the switch has broken off. Can you try taking a pin, poke it a bit into the broken off part and pull it to the right.

Please let me know if this helps!

• @Boken-Lin
    I love the advice. I tried it and it simple destroyed the switch.
    then me (mr smarty pants) tested and realized I could short ciruit the two leads closest to each other in the back and it would make the switch always on.

problem solved.

Just DON'T get your solder to hot or use the big head. I now have a martian meteorite whole where the switch use to be.

any way to short shirtcuit another part of the board to skip the switch?

Thanks for the answer.

• administrators

@Damian-Montero
    How recently did you buy the Dock? I ask because this is actually a super old thread - we had switch quality issues back in our first production runs in late 2015 and resolved it in the production runs that followed (early 2016 and onwards).

If this is a recently produced Dock we would want to know to investigate!

• @Lazar-Demin Hi,

That's good to know this old thread is still being monitored - it's better than starting a new one, yes?

I love the product - I have several of them performing WiFi Range Extender duty to give me access all over the farm.

I have two of the older boards I can't use, though - one is an Expansion Doc and the other is a Mini dock. Both switches snapped the first time I went to use them. I just said many bad words and threw them in the junk. I've a total of bought five Omega2 & 2+'s, an Ethernet Dock, an OLED expansion board, and a couple more Expansion and Mini docks.

I didn't think much about them until recently, when I had an idea to use more Omega2's.

Any chance of exchanging them after all this time? Do you need these dead ones back, or will a photo of the broken switch suffice? (I'd rather not pay the freight twice). How about if I order a new Omega2+, could you include them with that? It'll help with freight on your end.

Thanks
    Dave Davies

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.