We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Why did firmware upgrade break extroot with pivot-overlay?

• My power dock arrived today (yay!) so I plugged in and powered up. When I logged into the web admin I noticed there was a new firmware update available. So I upgraded.

The last time I SSH'd into the Omega, I configured extroot with pivot-overlay as per this article: https://wiki.onion.io/Tutorials/Using-USB-Storage-as-Rootfs but when I logged in after the firmware update, the overlay is not auto-mounted.

According to https://wiki.onion.io/Tutorials/Updating-the-Omega (emphasis mine):

"Upgrading the firmware will delete/overwrite all of the files that are not in /etc or /usr"

So, why have my changes to /etc/config/fstab been lost? After firmware upgrade:

config 'global'
    	option	anon_swap	'0'
    	option	anon_mount	'0'
    	option	auto_swap	'1'
    	option	auto_mount	'1'
    	option	delay_root	'5'
    	option	check_fs	'0'

whereas block detect returns:

config 'global'
    	option	anon_swap	'0'
    	option	anon_mount	'0'
    	option	auto_swap	'1'
    	option	auto_mount	'1'
    	option	delay_root	'5'
    	option	check_fs	'0'

config 'mount'
    	option	target	'/mnt/sda1'
    	option	uuid	'0679c6db-1e8f-473c-93f2-8e82c871bac8'
    	option	enabled	'0'

I distinctly remember overwriting fstab, and making the necessary changes to target and enabled

So, did I do something dumb, or is this expected behaviour? Where is it safe to create files that won't be lost after an upgrade. Seems /etc is not entirely safe...

On a happier note, I love the power dock - can finally play with my expansions! šŸ™‚
    Sadly, I also snapped the power button off the mini-dock when I unplugged šŸ˜”

• administrators

@benthenchelys Yes, unfortunately, performing a firmware upgrade will undo pivot overlay. You will have to redo the procedure after the firmware upgrade.

So, when running the OS from the Omega's built-in flash storage, changes made in /etc and /root will be preserved. However, when you are running the OS from the USB (using pivot-overlay/pivot-root), the firmware upgrade process isn't smart enough to check if changes have been made to /etc/ and /root on the USB drive, so it will basically install a fresh firmware on the Omega.

Hope the explanation helps.
    Expect better storage solutions with the upcoming Omega2!

• Thanks Lazar. Makes sense that the upgrade wouldn't necessarily check folders on the USB.

Will the Omega2 be compatible with existing docks and expansions?

• administrators

@benthenchelys said

Will the Omega2 be compatible with existing docks and expansions?

Absolutely! šŸ™‚

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.