We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

How to first connect to the Omega2 without a serial-to-USB?

• Hi everyone. I just discovered Omega2 and I am extremely excited; I have HomeGenie running on RaspberryPi as a domotic solution and very happy with that; Omega2 could help me expand my horizons šŸ˜¬

I have tried to read all Tutorials and Documentations, but I still have a doubt.

I'm interested in using the Omega2 with the LiPo-battery Dock that is without serial-to-USB.

How can I connect to the Omega2? Is there any other method? Like it starting as a WiFi-AP? Or for it to connect to an open WiFi like Onion2-HOST or something similar?

I wouldn't like to buy a dock just for the very first start of the configuration (as soon as connected to my home protected wifi, the dock would become useless to me).

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Marco

• Welcome to the community!
    Please always read first solved issues, if you not find a answer already there ... otherwise we will get a big mess here when everything gets asked more than once šŸ˜‰
    (see also link how to create a request)

Anyway, here the answer ... a flew requests after yours in the Omega Talk?
    https://community.onion.io/topic/995/resolved-cannot-connect-to-omega-when-using-battery-dock

I do not know exactly how it looks with the Omega2 but with the actual it not works over Serial. And yes they came configured for accessing over WLAN. If you brick one, you will need a normal Dock with a Ethernet Expansion to de-brick.

• Thanks for your reply.

However I DID read that thread before posting, I thought it was clear when I wrote "any other method".

But in such thread you answer the user "So, stop trying to connect the Omega over tty if you have it in the power-dock, please ;)".

If you read, I never asked about TTY, I clearly wrote I'm aware that Omega2 mini-dock or power-dock have NOT a USB-to-serial (sorry if I wrote "serial-to-USB", did that mislead you?).

I asked if there is any DIFFERENT method than a serial one; I asked if there is something about Omega2 automatically connect to a "default" open AP, of maybe a way for the Omega2 to become a AP by itself if it doesn't find a TTY and a configured WiFi.

Frank asked about TTY, I asked abuot a wifi (SSH) connection.

If the asnwer is "there is no other way", please state it clearly, would be of help; but I couldn't think there is no other way that buying a $15 dock that I won't use it anymore than the 1st run, so I prefer to ask.

If there is no other way, I think someone should think about it: with a wifi onboard it's just a matter of thinking about it and configure the supplied OpenWRT before shipping.

• of course you could do ssh. it's a standard thing.

• @youlian-troyanov

Yes, I know SSH is available... but how to connect to a brand new Omega2 WITHOUT a serial TTY?

The on-board WiFi is preconfigured as an Access Point?

• Ok, great thanks for the answer.

I didn't find a mention to it as an Access Point; I only found this:

"If your computer is on the same wifi network as the Omega, the Omega will be accessible via the omega-ABCD.local address. Where ABCD is 4 hex characters that are unique to each Omega and can be seen on the Omega's default AP name or on the Omega command line (seen through a serial connection)."

that I thought wasn't clear enough.

So when the Omega2 starts, it creates an open AP named "Omega-ABCD" to which I have to connect to, then I can SSH it.

Thanks.

• that's correct

• For reference purpose:
    Connect to the Omega via SSH

• @Marco-Aicardi said in How to first connect to the Omega2 without a serial-to-USB?:

If you read, I never asked about TTY, I clearly wrote I'm aware that Omega2 mini-dock or power-dock have NOT a USB-to-serial (sorry if I wrote "serial-to-USB", did that mislead you?).

Just do be correct ... the mini-dock has a UART (USB to Serial) chip! Just the Power dock comes without this chip. So, if your configured Omega has a problem with the Wireless you will not be able to connect to it. You will have to send it back or you will need other hardware to make further tests.

In my case, i had to change the ID's of the Wifi Chanels. If you are not able to do that you will need other workarounds.

• @Luciano-S. said in How to first connect to the Omega2 without a serial-to-USB?:

Just do be correct ... the mini-dock has a UART (USB to Serial) chip! Just the Power dock comes without this chip.

Oh sorry for the mistake; I intented to talk only of the power dock

• @fossette said in How to first connect to the Omega2 without a serial-to-USB?:

For reference purpose:
    Connect to the Omega via SSH

Thanks for pointing this out.

The quote "If your computer is on the same wifi network as the Omega, the Omega will be accessible via the omega-ABCD.local address. Where ABCD is 4 hex characters that are unique to each Omega and can be seen on the Omega's default AP name or on the Omega command line (seen through a serial connection)." was taken from that page.

• @Marco-Aicardi Good for everybody, Marco. Search engines will surely point to this page in the future. šŸ˜‰

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.