We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

GPL Source Code

• @luz Great news šŸ™‚

Now, as you say,all we want is the oficial .config file(s) for the Omega2(s)

• @Kit-Bishop That wouldn't do you much good, because they have extra customizations besides just the .config, like e.g.the proprietary Wi-Fi driver.

• @WereCatf those are not likely to come in anything other than a GPL wrapper that loads a binary blob šŸ˜ž especially if it's an atheros wifi chip. I know the omega was, don't know about omega2(+) though. Mediatek, to their credit, has been making strides to deliver more oss though. I don't know how much of an oss driver onion,inc got from them.

• @luz ahhhh shoot! Now I'll have to fix my dockerfile now that LEDE officially supports omega2(+) šŸ˜ž

• @WereCatf said in GPL Source Code:

@Kit-Bishop That wouldn't do you much good, because they have extra customizations besides just the .config, like e.g.the proprietary Wi-Fi driver.

Wait, so what happens if I flash LEDE into Omega2+? It'll use generic foss WiFi drivers or something?

• @Zogg-Baubas
    The default LEDE configuration is very spartan, you get almost nothing. It uses an opensource version of the MT76 wifi driver - it works for me, but YMMV.

I like the very minimal config. I'm using the small Omega2, which does not have lots of flash and I managed to get the OS to < 4MB, which leaves 12MB for my stuff.

• @Ghent-The-Slicer said in GPL Source Code:

I like the very minimal config. I'm using the small Omega2, which does not have lots of flash and I managed to get the OS to < 4MB, which leaves 12MB for my stuff.

I have some 2's (and 2+'s) but I would really like to have 12MB to play with on the 2's. I need around 11MB for a project. Are you able to provide details of how we set up the 2's to leave us with 12MB?

• This is one of my old configurations:
    http://pastebin.com/eNthqx4s

copy this file as .config in the root of your LEDE folder

It has a few extra things, but they are specified as modules, so not included in the image.
    I'm using the LEDE master branch with cherry-picked changes from WereCatf as well as the flash reset fix from the onion branch
    https://github.com/OnionIoT/source/tree/mtd-m25p80-reset-code

Again this is very spartan and the only working interface is the serial console. You'll have to configure the network and wifi manually.

• @Ghent-The-Slicer thanks for the pointers.

Will any spec linux machine be ok for the build, with the required utilities installed?

Roughly how long would it take a 5 year old laptop with Ubuntu to build the firmware?

• @Costas-Costas I am running on a 3 year old i5 laptop with 8Gbytes of RAM running Windows 10 with a Kubuntu virtual machine to do my building. The VM is set up to only use two processors and is limited to using only 2GBytes of RAM.
    Using this VM takes me about 1 hour to build a complete set of firmware.

If that's any guidance

• Perfect guidance @Kit-Bishop thanks.

What mods would I need to do to the .config file to include the basic "Onion network facilities" (just AP on 192.168.3.1 and ability to scan and connect Omega to router)?

Are there any pre-built packages available that give 11MB + user space for the Omega 2?

• @Costas-Costas solder on a larger flash chip and configure the dts files for your larger memory?

• @Theodore-Borromeo if you had seen me with a soldering iron you would know that's not going to happen.

• @Costas-Costas fair enough, though in all fairness, I don't ever think that what I suggested should be the case :). I think that you need a USB stick with pivot overlay solution, or get the 2plus with a built in sd card ( I purposely got that one after dealing with this on the first omega)

• @Theodore-Borromeo I have 2's and 2+'s. The 2+'s don't need the SD card / USB stick as they have enough user space for my project. It's just the plain 2's that are a touch too small and of course they don't have SD cards to make it easy.

• @Costas-Costas th slicer has the right approach: compile a minimal kernel and see if that helps

• @Theodore-Borromeo I had actually thought about soldering a 64MB flash on mine, but heck, all that large chips I can find cost more than the Omega 2 itself -- not worth it.

• @Theodore-Borromeo soldering flash chip could be major PITA, because you'll have to remove the metal shield first.

@Costas-Costas the ability to connect to an access point is in the minimal package. There is no GUI for it. You will have to edit two files:
    /etc/config/wireless
    and
    /etc/config/network

Here is my network file. I disabled the lan bridge and the ethernet, since I don't use them. The configured the wireless wlan0 to use dhcp.
    http://pastebin.com/FkN5nrAk

Here is my wireless config. My network uses WPA2. The LEDE web site has decent docs on these files.
    http://pastebin.com/UgUDRsis

• @WereCatf no doubt. the idea that it's an option just takes me back to the glory days of mask ROMs on a SNES cartridge ( I am NOT old enough to be hearkening back that far). recently someone did it with the flash memory on an iPhone, but I totally don't intend for anyone to go that far.

I honestly thought that this would have been the major revision with the omega2s over the omegas. I honestly wished that they would have made a much larger leap in processing power and memory just based on the immediate limitations on the original once it became clear that it kind of didn't deliver out of the box expectations w.r.t. node.js etc.

It's interesting to see where omega is supposed to thrive though, based on the price point and feature sets. I honestly hope they abandon their current course and pivot to open hardware with integrated node red. They could then focus on creating a handheld PC like the pocket chip ( or partnering) that could communicate with the omega wifi ap to program things offline, with tutorials embedded into the 'host' computer. if each kit were under $100, they could kick-start or have local schools launch go fund mes to purchase kits for local schools.

as a side note, it'd be an interesting company to start that templates GoFundMe campaigns for local schools/organizations. you could reuse a lot of the base work to commoditize projects, and then make your profit by minimizing overhead via spreading the development cost over the multiple campaigns. I don't think there is any organization now that will help you fundraise in that way, barring what little I know about classy. . .

• @luz said in GPL Source Code:

LEDE has done its first release, 17.01 - and Omega2/Omega2p support is included!

Techdata (i added pictures to see how they look like)

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.