We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Omega2 - LEDE or OpenWrt?

• @Kit-Bishop said in Omega2 - LEDE or OpenWrt?:

It would be really helpful if Onion made this information available - this has been and outstanding request for quite some time 😞

I do agree ... and do belief that this miss behavior could break them the neck with their project.

What brings a good hardware with bad working software ... and vise-versa? If they not share knowledge with the community, the community will slow down and do the same.

If there would be a unbranded version of the OS and available with all the configuration information the community could go on and progress.

I guess the big "break" was made here. It says:

The Omega now supports NodeJS version 4.3.1!!
    The new version requires some updates to the Linux kernel, so you will need to do a full firmware update to prepare your Omega for the latest NodeJS. To reflect this, the Omega firmware version has been changed to 0.0.7

"Born to get kernel mismatch"

• Things are moving! Have a look at the github repo!

This does answer my original question - YES, Omega2 does use LEDE! Great! 🙂 (see paragraph "the operating system")

Now I hope the LEDE fork actually used for the Omega2 will soon get available. Maybe it will be a while until Omega2 support becomes part of LEDE mainline (fully understandable, preparing and submitting patches takes time).

But please just publish Onion's LEDE fork as-is soon, including the .config. So the community can actually participate and contribute to the ongoing project.

@Luciano-S Sticking to an old kernel just to avoid kernel mismatch can't be the solution either. It all hinges on public availability of the exact same LEDE/OpenWrt tree + config which Onion uses internally for the firmware, that allows building packages against whatever kernel is used on the Omega. So again - development in the open is the key 😉

• Hey! Updates are December 4th! Isn't it exciting! 🙂

• @Lazar-Demin I hit a road block for using self-built LEDE on Omega2:

The omega2-ctrl package in the onion feed references sources at github.com:OnionIoT/omega2-ctrl.git, but this repo apparently does not exist.

I guess that's just an oversight you can fix quickly - can you please push omega2-ctrl.git to github? Thanks!

• just wanted to mention - in the meantime @onion did publish omega2-ctrl - thanks 🙂

• And: Omega2/Omega2+ support is now in the official LEDE 17.01 release

• @luz Hi Luz, I've been playing with a recently unboxed Omega2+ these past couple days. I started with @WereCatf repo then saw your message that it was in in official LEDE so I went and pulled it down last night, built an image and finally got to boot it up tonight on a flight. I've noticed that with with @WereCatf repo things seem to "just work" a bit better. For example, I can't join a network in 'sta' mode ('ap' works) with LEDE but could with the original repo. Would you mind providing your .config and /etc/config/wireless&network that you have working successfully?

Thank you,
    Nick

• What does the official LEDE support brings ? If I build an image, will I get the exact same functionality as the original Omega2 ?
    Is there a way to obtain the exact same image as the official firmware ?

• @Pierre-Rossinès

@Pierre-Rossinès said in Omega2 - LEDE or OpenWrt?:

What does the official LEDE support brings ? If I build an image, will I get the exact same functionality as the original Omega2 ?

Not at all. You get only the basic LEDE support, which is a network router targeted firmware (with a web-ui, if you enable LuCi).

The thing is - LEDE is highly configurable, there are literally thousands of options to include/exclude support for all sorts of things in a selector utility (make menuconfig). Plus there are external so-called feeds carrying even more options. @onion have created their own (public) feed with their specific extensions. The only problem is, the Omega2's .config file, which defines what to pick from all these sources to make an image, is still not published.

Is there a way to obtain the exact same image as the official firmware ?

Once the .config onion is using is available, yes.
    Without that - in theory, maybe, if somebody has a lot of patience to figure out manually which packages and options need to be selected to get to the same result.

• @luz Mmmno. We still do not have the source-code for all the packages, let alone the Wi-Fi driver. Having the.config file would not give us much of anything we didn't already have! We already know what packages the images include, we know at least most of the kernel-config options they use, but.config does not give access to any of the actual code they are holding back or the changes they made to the actual source code of LEDE itself.

• @luz Thanks. Does LEDE include the firmware flashing tool ? I have no dock nor do I have a serial to USB chip, so I would appreciate to be able to flash the official firmware back if I mess something up while using LEDE.

• @WereCatf oh! Must have been wishful thinking on my part. I thought the missing parts had appeared in the meantime (but indeed, I forgot the WiFi driver, should have known that).
    What else is missing? I must admit I haven't kept track of what has and what hasn't appeared on github, because I'm happy with stock LEDE. So - sorry for the misinformation and raising false hopes.

Still, a published .config or diffconfig would help, because at least we could build an image that is identical up to those missing parts.

@administrators what's the problem here? Are there roadblocks? Just lacking time to polish the now missing stuff for publishing?

• @luz said in Omega2 - LEDE or OpenWrt?:

What else is missing? I must admit I haven't kept track of what has and what hasn't appeared on github, because I'm happy with stock LEDE. So - sorry for the misinformation and raising false hopes.

I haven't checked all the packages that are missing, but e.g. the source-codes for the Arduino-dock and some other packages are missing -- access denied, if you try to access the respective repos.

Still, a published .config or diffconfig would help, because at least we could build an image that is identical up to those missing parts.

I tried to tell you, it still wouldn't be identical. .config only tracks configuration-changes that LEDE is aware of, it doesn't track any changes to the actual source-code nor any kernel-config changes outside of the pre-defined ones that LEDE-supports. So no, it still wouldn't be identical, they have made changes that the LEDE configuration-tools are not aware of and thus wouldn't be tracked in .config.

• @Pierre-Rossinès said in Omega2 - LEDE or OpenWrt?:

@luz Thanks. Does LEDE include the firmware flashing tool ? I have no dock nor do I have a serial to USB chip, so I would appreciate to be able to flash the official firmware back if I mess something up while using LEDE.

Realistically, if you want to do any serious work on embedded systems you'll need to acquire a USB<>logic-level serial converter for 3.3v targets. They cost around $5-6.

In theory, if you had a perfect new image you wanted to load you could use a web interface or scp and ssh via the sysupgrade method, but should anything go wrong you'll need the serial interface (at minimum) to understand what went wrong.

• @WereCatf said in Omega2 - LEDE or OpenWrt?:

@luz said in Omega2 - LEDE or OpenWrt?:
    I tried to tell you, it still wouldn't be identical. .config only tracks configuration-changes that LEDE is aware of, it doesn't track any changes to the actual source-code nor any kernel-config changes outside of the pre-defined ones that LEDE-supports. So no, it still wouldn't be identical, they have made changes that the LEDE configuration-tools are not aware of and thus wouldn't be tracked in .config.

Which brings us back to an issue that has haunted us since the early days (over 1 year ago) of the Omega1 - without access to the official repository that Onion uses we are still playing catch up and trying to hack things together.

Despite numerous requests for this, no reply has been forthcoming - not even a We can't because of X Y Z

A few weeks ago there was discussion on this forum as to whether or not Onion were in breach of the terms of the open source licences on this issue. That discussion kind of petered out with no resolution on it

• @Chris-Stratton said in Omega2 - LEDE or OpenWrt?:

Ok thanks. I'll buy one of those then.

• @WereCatf said in Omega2 - LEDE or OpenWrt?:

I tried to tell you, it still wouldn't be identical.

You are right. "identical" was the wrong word. Still, I insist publishing the .config would be helpful, if only as a point of reference.
    And giving it to us would be an easy step for @onion to go, right now. I can understand though that cleaning up and publishing everything might take more time…

• @luz said in Omega2 - LEDE or OpenWrt?:

Still, I insist publishing the .config would be helpful,

Would be nice, that at least, now where just omega 2 is in hype, that we would get the info's for omega one. Then a community firmware could give continuation to this small devices.

I don't know what @onion is thinking, some kind of knowledge is power, let's use it a bit more!

• To anyone interested: I made it yet slightly easier to get going with a custom firmware using my git-tree. All you (should) need to do to set it up, is install git and run the following three commands:

git clone -b image https://github.com/WereCatf/source.git lede-omega2
    cd lede-omega2
    bash ./first_time_setup.sh

Or you can download a zip-archive from github, extract it and then run the first_time_setup.sh in there.

• @WereCatf , is there a .bin file i could test? Before i get in to compiling i would like to see how it "feels". I do have a Omega2+, does this work too?

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.