We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Omega 2+ USB Firmware Install after Brick. [Resolved]

• @Colt-Burns

Great to hear you were able to get it working again! As for the UARTs, the Omega2 has 2 of them, explained below:

• The RX1 and TX1 pins are mapped to UART1, which are for the Omega2 to communicate with other serial devices.
    • UART0 is the one that is used to control the Omega's terminal over serial. These pins are broken out only on the Breadboard Dock and the Arduino Dock.

You can read the full details about the UARTs in our UART guide here.

If you don't mind, I've marked your topic as [Resolved] to help others find it in the future! đŸ˜„

• This post is deleted!

• Thank you , thank you , thank you. Works fine. This should be posted at the TOP of the listing.

• Thanks, restored my 2nd Omega2+ into b150. WiFi works, although it catches it on 6th or 7th attempt.

• perfect!!!!! Used dock mini. Many thanks.

• @Colt-Burns I was so happy when I found your guide, thanks.

So I managed to brick one of my Omega 2+ and followed this guide to unbrick it. But I never get to choose
    option #2. The boot process stops at "Uncompressing Kernel Image ...".

So maybe thsi one is bricked for good?

• Thank you from me too.

After upgradeing the Omega2p to the new firmware yesterday
    I somehow ran into a bootloop (can't imagine what happened
    everything went fine and after the installation it rebooted into this bootloop)

This thread help me to fix it without having to build arround

Thumb Up

• And factory reset with the reset button doesn't do anything either.

• This sounds like what I need to do. I don't understand where you'll see "option #2" though? Maybe I need to research how to connect via USB to Serial but if you power it on with the reset button down, there must me some steps that will give you options on your screen. Am I missing something?

• @Marty-Mickelson Yes, you need to be able to see what the Omega2 spits out on uart0. If you have reset-button down, or connected to 3.3V with a wire, the boot-loader will present you with a menu for 40 seconds, where you can choose an option for flashing from a USB-drive and such.

• Ok. I will search the web for how to do that with my Mac. I'm connected from my Mac USB to the dock mini USB port. If you know the url of a resource on the web, I'd love to hear it.

Currently, when I turn it on while holding down reset, the amber light blinks rapidly for 30 seconds, then goes dark. I'm guessing this is the period where it would be asking to reset.

• @Marty-Mickelson I ain't got a single Apple-device or any experience with OSX, so I can't help you there.

• @WereCatf said in Omega 2+ USB Firmware Install after Brick. [Resolved]:

@Marty-Mickelson If you have reset-button down, or connected to 3.3V with a wire, the boot-loader will present you with a menu for 40 seconds, where you can choose an option for flashing from a USB-drive and such.

Ah so that is probably how you access "safe mode" etc.
    So without any docks but dozens of Prolific PL2303HX USB to TTL adapters is it simply hook one up to RX0 and RX1 or the USB pins (D+ and D-) and then ensuring the drivers are available?

• @Costas-Costas said in Omega 2+ USB Firmware Install after Brick. [Resolved]:

Ah so that is probably how you access "safe mode" etc.
    So without any docks but dozens of Prolific PL2303HX USB to TTL adapters is it simply hook one up to RX0 and RX1 or the USB pins (D+ and D-) and then ensuring the drivers are available?

The prompt for safe mode comes after u-boot has already loaded up and booted the Linux-kernel, ie. it comes a few seconds later and the safe mode - prompt only lasts for like two seconds. As for using a USB-to-TTL adapter, you need to hook the adapter's RX to Omega2's TX and adapter's TX to Omega2's RX. You do not connect them to the USB-pins.

How the u-boot menu looks like:

____       _             ____
      / __ \___  (_)__  ___    / __ \__ _  ___ ___ ____ _
     / /_/ / _ \/ / _ \/ _ \  / /_/ /  ' \/ -_) _ `/ _ `/
     \____/_//_/_/\___/_//_/  \____/_/_/_/\__/\_, /\_,_/
     W H A T  W I L L  Y O U  I N V E N T ? /___/"

Board: Onion Omega2 APSoC DRAM:  128 MB
    relocate_code Pointer at: 87f60000
    flash manufacture id: c2, device id 20 19
    find flash: MX25L25635E
    *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

============================================
    Onion Omega2 UBoot Version: 4.3.0.3
    --------------------------------------------
    ASIC 7628_MP (Port5<->None)
    DRAM component: 1024 Mbits DDR, width 16
    DRAM bus: 16 bit
    Total memory: 128 MBytes
    Flash component: SPI Flash
    Date:Oct 18 2016  Time:17:29:05
    ============================================
    icache: sets:512, ways:4, linesz:32 ,total:65536
    dcache: sets:256, ways:4, linesz:32 ,total:32768
    CPU freq = 575 MHZ
    Estimated memory size = 128 Mbytes
    Resetting MT7628 PHY.
    Initializing MT7688 GPIO system.

* Hold Reset button for more options *

You have 40 seconds left to select a menu option...

Please select option:
       [ Enter ]: Boot Omega2.
       [ 0 ]: Start Web recovery mode.
       [ 1 ]: Start command line mode.
       [ 2 ]: Flash firmware from USB storage.

How the safe-mode prompt looks like:

-------I CUT A LOT OF TEXT OUT BEFORE THIS-----
    [    7.335576] MTK MSDC device init.
    [    7.378336] mtk-sd: MediaTek MT6575 MSDC Driver
    [    7.388919] sdhci: Secure Digital Host Controller Interface driver
    [    7.395213] sdhci: Copyright(c) Pierre Ossman
    [    7.401405] sdhci-pltfm: SDHCI platform and OF driver helper
    [    7.413483] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
    [    7.431112] init: - preinit -
    [    7.866305] mmc0: new SD card at address bf77
    [    8.036661] mmcblk0: mmc0:bf77 SD01G 983 MiB
    [    8.042870]  mmcblk0: p1
    [    8.058552] random: procd: uninitialized urandom read (4 bytes read, 14 bits of entropy available)
    [    8.485567] rt3050-esw 10110000.esw: link changed 0x00
    Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
    Press the [1], [2], [3] or [4] key and hit [enter] to select the debug level

May take a few tries to learn to spot this prompt.

• @WereCatf I have a linux laptop, but not a USB to TTL adapter. Maybe I'm screwed until I can get one.

• @WereCatf thanks for the info. May I ask what are the 2 USB pins for on the Omega?

• @Costas-Costas For connecting USB-devices to it. You know, there is a full-size USB-port on the docks -- its data-lines are connected to those pins.

• I installled the driver linked to from https://docs.onion.io/omega2-docs/connecting-to-the-omega-terminal.html#connecting-via-serial-mac, but the device never showed up when using ls tty.*. Either the driver didn't install correctly or my Omega2+ is really dead.

• Marty,
    Try ls /dev/tty*, does that work? Also, what dock are you using? If expansion or mini dock it should be there, if you're on arduino or power the USB-Serial connection won't work.

Here's my adventure with un-bricking my device using the arduino dock for reference:
    http://community.onion.io/topic/1377/might-have-bricked-my-omega2-can-t-connect-via-serial/8
    edit: try restarting your computer also, I think I had to do that before the driver worked.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.