gps receiver not locking



  • Dana, i tried that first thing after disconnecting the cable thinking that it might be a poor connection from the factory and having the pigtail like your picture did not help my situation. however your remark about doing a repair to the connector solder joints makes me think that once i get my other omega2+ in the mail later this month that i will give that a try as there could just be a problem with the soldered connection. for now, having a larger antenna solves the signal issue for me but creates an issue of not having a good place for the larger antenna.



  • @Douglas-Kryder the other thing I did that may be notable, after desoldering the antenna from the PCB, is clearing excess solder from the antenna left over from when it was originally soldered to the PCB. In particular, one corner of the LNA shield (on the bottom of the antenna) is cut-away, but when it was soldered to the PCB, this corner was filled with solder and shorted to a pad/via on the LNA board. I cleared that on all of my 3 GPS Exps as part of the R&R and did not re-fill it when re-mounting the antenna. Given the shield is cut-away there, I believe it's not meant to short to the pad and this may be deafening the LNA.



  • @Dana-Myers114

    Nice! Something to test and hoping it works for some but for me, at least, it seems it's still not locking properly in the u-Center app as well others.

    I have a new antenna coming in that has some distance in hopes that will resolve the issue within days. I did try your re-route of the connector wire but alas; it didn't lock. What it did do, however, is seem to increase the signals that I do get compared to them when the connector wire is across the board, lol.. Getting there :)



  • @Dana-Myers114 Thanks for the tip, desoldering and re-soldering did the trick, mine also had a solder blob where shouldn't be. It's now working fine.



  • @Dana-Myers114 said in gps receiver not locking:

    @Douglas-Kryder the other thing I did that may be notable, after desoldering the antenna from the PCB, is clearing excess solder from the antenna left over from when it was originally soldered to the PCB. In particular, one corner of the LNA shield (on the bottom of the antenna) is cut-away, but when it was soldered to the PCB, this corner was filled with solder and shorted to a pad/via on the LNA board. I cleared that on all of my 3 GPS Exps as part of the R&R and did not re-fill it when re-mounting the antenna. Given the shield is cut-away there, I believe it's not meant to short to the pad and this may be deafening the LNA.

    thank you. i'll look for that on mine when i do the de-solder/solder work.



  • @Endre-Czirbesz said in gps receiver not locking:

    @Dana-Myers114 Thanks for the tip, desoldering and re-soldering did the trick, mine also had a solder blob where shouldn't be. It's now working fine.

    That's 2 now, with an desolder and re-solder, seemingly working well so I think I'll try mine soon. Just visually the antenna on mine is crooked and seems 'blobbed' as well so hoping once I get the chance, I'll see if mine also helps.

    Thank you all!



  • Does anyone have a photo or better description of where the blob is?



  • As more confirmation.. Before I unsolder and resolder this ceramic antenna I wanted to first try a suitable external antenna I picked up off fleaBay.

    I had an SMA to uFL connector bridge from some other MCU antenna's for WiFi so I just picked up an Active 28db antenna that ran me about $8 usd and as soon as I plugged it in within seconds it had both a 2D and 3D fix with accurate data.

    Now that I know the u-blox MCU works; it must be something with the built in antenna and the soldering, as others have found out. I might get some time to desolder and resolder the ceramic one or just use the external for now.

    Something's up with the Omega antenna on how it's placed, affixed or logic on board before antenna (ie: that missing or removed cap)

    Thanks for everyone!
    ~Icky



  • I had a reply to my ticket now. It confirms that the removed cap is already missing from my board.


Log in to reply