We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

So close! HFS+ support

• I'm quite excited to report that I've basically gotten my media server running! I got minidlna up and running, adding a movie file, and successfully saw the server on my Roku box (connected to my television) and streamed the file. As we say in my part of the world, wicked awesome.

My next move was to switch from the 32G thumb drive I'd been using for portability, to the terabyte drive where I keep all my media.

Problem. It tells me that I don't have HFS+ support at the kernel. Fine, I go looking for it:

root@Omega-7C0F:/etc/config# opkg list | grep hfs
    hfsfsck - 332.25-1 - Utilities to create and check HFS/HFS+ filesystems. (fsck.hfs and fsck.hfsplus for checking integrity of HFS/HFS+ volumes)
    kmod-fs-hfs - 4.4.45-1 - Kernel module for HFS filesystem support
    kmod-fs-hfsplus - 4.4.45-1 - Kernel module for HFS+ filesystem support

Alas, I don't like that 45, because:

satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-fs-hfsplus:

• kernel (= 4.4.45-1-fe1bc68f978d8185c583d2d3048a7dfc) *

root@Omega-7C0F:/etc/config# opkg list-installed | grep kernel
    kernel - 4.4.42-1-11683ab37b13c3e3a6d241c5792626ed

Seems I'm literally THIS close to where I need to be. What are my options here? Is there a way for me to find a previous version of the HFS+ support module that will work with my kernel? Dare I attempt a kernel upgrade of my own? Is that something that's upgraded regularly by the good people at Onion? I've come this far, there's got to be a simple solution to the problem.

• @Duane-Morin said in So close! HFS+ support:

Seems I'm literally THIS close to where I need to be. What are my options here? Is there a way for me to find a previous version of the HFS+ support module that will work with my kernel? Dare I attempt a kernel upgrade of my own? Is that something that's upgraded regularly by the good people at Onion? I've come this far, there's got to be a simple solution to the problem.

Your options are: 1) ask for Onion-devs to compile the module for hfs and wait however long it takes them 2) compile custom firmware

The thing is, you can't just upgrade the kernel.

• @WereCatf Fair enough -- but as a third option, maybe I could find a previous version of the hfs support module that was intended to work with an earlier kernel version, that satisfies the dependency?

• @Duane-Morin Onion devs previously explained, that kernel modules must be build on the same machine that the kernel was build. Thats why you can't install kmod* packages from LEDE repository when using OnionOS, even if kernels are exactly the same.
    You have to build an image yourself, along with wanted kernel modules.

• @Zogg-Baubas Well, it seems my likelihood of doing that is going down fast. I guess I can reformat the drive to ext4? I only went with HFS because I'd been using the drive on a separate machine and it was already formatted (and loaded with a few hundred gig of files). But if that's what I gotta do, I guess that's what I gotta do.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.