We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Install LAMP, FTP and PhpMyAdmin on your Onion Omega

• @Boken-Lin Thanks - looking at the instructions for pivot-overlay it looks like it would be preferable to pivot-root in that it only puts the /overlay directory on to the USB rather than the whole system.

While the pivot-root method as referenced by @Josip-Mlakar in https://samhobbs.co.uk/2013/11/more-space-for-packages-with-extroot-on-your-openwrt-router appears to work well, i think I will change to the overlay-root method.

Will let you know if I hit any problems. And again thanks for the info šŸ™‚

• @Boken-Lin I have tried following the instructions you give at https://wiki.onion.io/Tutorials/Using-USB-Storage-as-Rootfs for pivot-overlay method.
    I am having a problem.
    When I try the command in Step 3 :

• mount /dev/sda1 /mnt ; tar -C /overlay -cvf - . | tar -C /mnt -xf - ; umount /mnt

I get the messages

• tar: empty archive
      tar: short read

I think this may be related to the fact that Step 2 said:

• mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

I think there is some issue as to where /dev/sda1 is mounted.
    I am confused - can you clarify please. Thanks.

• This post is deleted!

• @Kit-Bishop That's quite strange. Can you try running the commands separately to see if it helps?

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

then

tar -C /overlay -cvf - . | tar -C /mnt -xf -

Finally,

umount /mnt

• @Boken-Lin I'm having one of those days when nothing seems to go right! šŸ˜ž
    I have managed to move on a bit. Not sure why, but when I tried the

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt ; tar -C /overlay -cvf - . | tar -C /mnt -xf - ; umount /mnt

via PuTTY I continued to get the same error. However using MobaXTerm it worked.
    Now, my /mnt/sda1 directory has a copy of my /overlay directory.

So I proceeded with the subsequent steps:

block detect > /etc/config/fstab

Edited /etc/config/fstab to set enabled to '1'

reboot

But nothing seems to have changed on my Omega.
    Sorry to swamp you with lots of information, but after the reboot, I have:

Output from df -h

root@Omega-0A97:/# df -h
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                    8.4M    376.0K      8.1M   4% /
    /dev/root                 6.5M      6.5M         0 100% /rom
    tmpfs                    29.9M    456.0K     29.4M   1% /tmp
    /dev/mtdblock3            8.4M    376.0K      8.1M   4% /overlay
    overlayfs:/overlay        8.4M    376.0K      8.1M   4% /
    tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
    /dev/sda1                29.2G     44.0M     27.7G   0% /mnt/sda1
    root@Omega-0A97:/#

Output from mount

root@Omega-0A97:/# mount
    rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
    /dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
    tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
    /dev/mtdblock3 on /overlay type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
    overlayfs:/overlay on / type overlay (rw,noatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/overlay/upper,workdir=/overlay/work)
    tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600)
    /dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1 type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
    debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)

Contents of /etc/config/fstab

root@Omega-0A97:/# cat /etc/config/fstab
    config 'global'
            option  anon_swap       '0'
            option  anon_mount      '0'
            option  auto_swap       '1'
            option  auto_mount      '1'
            option  delay_root      '5'
            option  check_fs        '0'

config 'mount'
            option  target  '/mnt/sda1'
            option  uuid    'cad99fb9-c045-467a-b629-3acd4c170ae3'
            option  enabled '1'

It looks like my USB is not getting mounted on /overlay.

Do you see anything wrong? Is there some step I have missed? Is there any other info I can supply that might help?

• @Josip-Mlakar Wiki article is online: https://wiki.onion.io/Tutorials/How-To-Install-LAMP-Stack-on-the-Omega šŸ™‚ I will put up a separate article for PHPMyAdmin.

• @Kit-Bishop I think you should change:

config 'mount'
            option  target  '/mnt/sda1'
            option  enabled '1'

from /etc/config/fstab to:

config 'mount'
            option  target  '/overlay'
            option  enabled '1'

• @Boken-Lin cool šŸ˜„

• @Boken-Lin Thanks - had just figured out that something like that was needed - having a slow brain day today šŸ™‚
    That works!
    Perhaps this should be made clearer on the bit on editing /etc/config/fstab in the WiKi page at https://wiki.onion.io/Tutorials/Using-USB-Storage-as-Rootfs

• @Kit-Bishop Done!

• @Boken-Lin Cool šŸ™‚ That was quick. Thanks for your help

• @Boken-Lin ,

While adapting @Josip-Mlakar 's guide to the Wiki, this step was missed.

Seems simple enough of a step, but it is assumed the drive is formatted as ext4 in further steps.

Thanks for both of yours' work!

@Josip-Mlakar said:

To do that you will have to format your USB storage into ext4 filesystem. You can do this by following commands:

opkg update
    opkg install e2fsprogs
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/<your partition>

• @Chris-MacKay I think I mentioned that somewhere in the prerequisite section.

• @Josip-Mlakar Great tutorial works like a charm. It only seems that apache isn't autostarting after a boot. Any ways you have solved that one?

• @Danny-van-der-Sluijs well I tried to make file named apache in /etc/init.d with content:

#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
    START=95
    start() {
    	apachectl start
    }
    restart() {
    	apachectl restart
    }
    stop() {
    	apachectl stop
    }

made it executable with chmod +x /etc/init.d/apache
    and then executed /etc/init.d/apache enable. It gets enabled and I can start it with /etc/init.d/apache startbut script doesen't start on boot šŸ˜ž I'll keep You updated if I find the solution:)

• @Josip-Mlakar Unless I am much mistaken (I'm sure others will correct me if I am :-)) what you need is:

• A symlink in /etc/rc.d named S95apache that references your /etc/init.d/apache file
      Files named like S<nn>Xxxx in /etc/rc.d are executed in order of the <nn> at system boot time as S<nn>Xxxx start thus starting the referenced file
      Files named like K<nn>Xxxx in /etc/rc.d are executed in order of the <nn> at system shutdown time as K<nn>Xxxx stop thus stopping the referenced file

One small thing I would check though is your use of START=95 (and corresponding usage of 95 in S95apache and K95apache) - as far as I can see 95 is currently being used by /etc/init.d/done and /etc/rc.d/S95done and I am unsure about the effects of resuing the same number.

• @Kit-Bishop Thank You for Your help, but /etc/init.d/apache enable creates symlink automatically. I also tried manual as you stated, but still no luck. Also tried to change START=95 into all kinds of numbers, but nothing works šŸ˜ž

• @Josip-Mlakar Sorry that didn't help - though I didn't see anything in the /etc/init.d/apache file you posted for handling enable or setting up any symlinks.

Just for the record, after some quick testing, i can confirm that the symlinks in /etc/rc.d do work as I expected and also that the START value (and the <nn> values) can be reused - I created a test file in /etc/init.d with START=95 and set up the S95 and K95 links which duplicate the 95 used by /etc/init.d/done and all worked fine,

• @Danny-van-der-Sluijs I think that's because you have not set Apache server to start automatically on boot. Can you try this:

Create a file /etc/init.d/apache, add the following content:

#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common

START=12

USE_PROCD=1
    NAME=apache
    PROG=/usr/sbin/apachectl

start_service() {
            procd_open_instance
            procd_set_param command "$PROG" start
            procd_close_instance
    }

stop() {
            /usr/sbin/apachectl stop
    }

reload() {
            /usr/sbin/apachectl reload
    }

Make the file executable:

chmod +x /etc/init.d/apache

Reboot again.

Please let me know if this works šŸ™‚

• Ok i found what's wrong. Since PhpMyAdmin uses mysql, apache fails to starts before mysql is up. So very very very (did I say very? :D) dirty way to fix this is to add sleep 5 in start() function... Better way would be somthing like while (mysql not running) {wait} but I cant find a way to check mysql status. if I find a way I'll update this comment.
    Anyways @Danny-van-der-Sluijs current solution is:
    Make file named apache in /etc/init.d with content:

#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
    START=95
    start() {
        sleep 5
        apachectl start
    }
    restart() {
        apachectl restart
    }
    stop() {
        apachectl stop
    }

Make it executable with chmod +x /etc/init.d/apache and then execute /etc/init.d/apache enable. Ofcourse don't forget to enable mysql to start on boot, you can do that with a command /etc/init.d/mysqld enable.

@Kit-Bishop You don't need to manualy handle enable to set up symlink (as stated here in Enable and disable section).

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.