We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Bluetooth discoverability with iPhone

• Hey all, this is my first attempt at anything IoT or Linux so I'm a level 1 newbie. The problem I'm having is that I can discover, pair and connect my Omega2+ to my Windows PC with external Bluetooth dongle but none of the 4 iPhones (different models and software) cannot discover the Omega. What am I missing?

I've got a shell script that starts up Bluetooth at boot. I've tried changing the class thinking that Apple will only connect to certain classes. That didn't do it. Any help? Thanks in advance!

• Hello! cool project you're working on there.

Sadly, I think it is complicated to pair bluetooth devices with Apple products. Here are their guidelines. I agree though, they are pretty vague about which class to set.
    If you have the specs for your BT dongle you can check if your device profile is supported.

I used to work on IoT devices that required BT and pairing was always the most difficult to get right. If you're willing to share your code, others might be able to reproduce your issue and help you debug it.

• Thanks Allison! I don't have much code currently. All I have is the following to start up the bluetooth module.

#!/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/hciconfig hci0 up
    /usr/bin/hciconfig hci0 piscan
    /usr/bin/hciconfig hci0 sspmode 1
    /usr/bin/hciconfig hci0 noauth
    /usr/bin/hciconfig hci0 leadv 0

The weird thing is that I can use bluetoothctl and pair from the Omega to the phone, but after rebooting the Omega it will not reconnect. I have to go in and pair it again from the Omega end.

Long story short my goal is to interface with canbus in my car and get control of some of the features that aren't easily accessible otherwise. I have a friend that is versed in Arduino and canbus, but not the Omega.

• So if the Bluetooth option won't work I wonder if I should find a way to connect and control through wifi instead. I can see the network from my iPhone with no trouble.

• Blynk might work hypothetically for a wifi solution. (If phone can share data connection with omega when connected to the omega's network).

I'll ask around to see if I can borrow a bluetooth dongle to reproduce the issue you're seeing.

• I'll definitely look into Blynk. Thanks!

You can connect to a wireless network and use the cellular connection on your phone at the same time by assigning a static IP but not entering an address for the router. This allows access to devices on that network but your phone will reach out to the web over the cellular connection. Now sharing it to the Omega is a different thing entirely. Maybe setting up personal hotspot?

network settings

I'm looking into setting up Hologram for a cellular connection for the Onion itself, as well as a GPS tool. I'm probably getting in way over my head but it's fun to try and figure this out.

• I vaguely remember that CAN bus dongle interface to the outside world (if using the el-cheapo $9 BT -> CAN plug, say for OBD II related work) is under the BT Serial profile.
    I thought IOS does not allow BT serial profile (except selected few apps under special APPLE arrangement/permission.)

• My plan is to use the CAN bus shield and do all of my control through the Omega. Since I can't connect to the Bluetooth I'm thinking I'm going to use the WiFi and a cellular connection to control it. Someone published the GMLAN Bible which has a comprehensive list of controls and codes for GM cars. I'm going to be installing this in my new Pontiac G8. I'm pretty stoked.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.