We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Omega2+ First Startup Extremely Hot

• I just recieved my Omega2+ Arduino Starter Kit, literally plugged the Omega (while in the Arduino Dock) into my laptop and within 1min the Omega was insanely hot, too hot to touch. It almost started to smell like it was burning, and then the LED switched off, at this stage I unplugged.

Why would it be overheating, is there something I'm doing wrong?

• @Angus-Ryan
    Oh dear, that doesn't sound good. šŸ˜ž
    Did you make sure to orient the O2+ correctly when installing it in the dock?

alt text

• @cas yeah I was following the documentation šŸ˜ž Now I think its damaged my omega entirely, I just tried to use the expansion dock instead and now the LED wont stop flashing and the wifi isnt appearing like it used to.

• @Angus-Ryan
    FWIW, my O2+'s run really hot in my mini dock, but the same device in an expansion dock runs much cooler.
    I haven't yet got around to trying my arduino dock as yet, so I can't offer any insight on that.

• @Angus-Ryan said in Omega2+ First Startup Extremely Hot:

@cas yeah I was following the documentation šŸ˜ž Now I think its damaged my omega entirely, I just tried to use the expansion dock instead and now the LED wont stop flashing and the wifi isnt appearing like it used to.

there have been reports in the past of solder bridges from the pins on the top side to the shield cover which caused shorts which could have lead to overheating. take a close look at the solder joints of all the pins and see if it looks like there are any that touch the shield. also, be aware on the arduino board that i'm pretty sure you do not want to have usb connected at same time barrel jack is powered, i seem to remember that but i could be wrong.

• @cas yeah I know what you mean hot, but this is burning components hot, I can smell the burning within 1 minute.

• @Douglas-Kryder ah alright, I'll have a look, but no other power supply attached but the Micro USB as per the documentation instructs.

• I too have an Omega2+ module that runs so hot the ink melted off the front MAC label. I have no idea if it shipped that way, just started doing that on its own, or became damaged from something I did, as it went directly into a battery powered pcb enclosure as soon as it arrived.
    I only figured it out after getting horrible battery life and measured its current draw at almost 1A

Unfortunately Onions 2 week warranty means that you just have to eat the cost.

• @Jon-Gordon glad (I think?) that you have faced the same issue as it makes me feel like it was shipped that way. I didn't realise they only have 2 week warranty? I'll chat with them, I think it may be the Arduino Dock though as it runs fine in the Expansion Dock just overheats in Arduino Dock.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.