We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Broken mini dock switch

• I got my Omega with minidock earlier this week and love it. However, not one hour after opening up, the switch on the mini dock is broken. Any chance you can just list a few compatible replacement parts at Mouser or Digikey that we could use to make our own in-field repair? We definitely need something with a bit more mass in the switch.

• Hi @Jason-Taylor, really sorry about the poor quality of the switches! But here's a link to Amazon with parts that you can replace the switches with.

http://www.amazon.com/10PCS-MSK-12C01-Tripod-Toggle-Switch/dp/B00VTPLQLM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447286664&sr=1-1&keywords=MSK-12C01

• On the plus side, I have 2 docks. On the down side, I've busted one within 10 minutes.

That switch is sure fragile -- the shaft is not much thicker than 100u

Is there a reason to use Amazon instead of Alibaba? That Amazon vendor is charging $35 for shipping!

• Hi @Boken-Lin, sorry for the delay. Even after trying two docks I could not get the Omega to switch on the LED, make any humming noises or anything else... In the mean time both my expansion dock and mini dock switches snapped off... I'm quite disappointed that I have not been able to play around at all with these devices, was really excited to get these before Christmas... I live in Singapore. Can I send the units I have back for an exchange please?

• @Doug-Plant Hi Doug, the reason that we included the ones from Amazon is because we have tried a couple of switches from Alibaba and Taobao, and they turned out to be just as fragile as the ones used on the Docks. šŸ˜ž We have tested out the ones from Amazon, and they are much higher quality. We will be using these switches in our future production runs.

• @Rick-Behl Hi Rick, We will send you the replacement right away. It would be greatly appreciated if you can send the defective ones to the following address:

To: Ms. Wu
    43 Lianfeng Road Suite 402, Chang'an District, Dongguan, Guangdong, China
    Phone: +86 13798812723

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

• Mine also broke within 1 hour of having it šŸ˜ž
    thankfully my switch broke in the on position!!!
    i really think the design of the mini dock needs to be rethrough, or maybe a stronger switch

• @Simon-Smith So sorry about that Simon! It is the issue with the switch. We have changed our source for the switches for future manufacturing runs, and we have also changed the way the Docks are being tested to include the switches as well.

• Hi Boken Lin, I have posted the broken items back to the address in Guangdong today. I will send you a private message with the tracking number. I hope you will also consider reimbursing me for the shipping costs to send these faulty items back.

• Hi Boken Lin, I received today the packet with an Omega and a Mini Dock. Unfortunately at the first attempt the power switch disapperared and so I'm not able to switch on. I don't know how to do. Could someone help me? I don't understand how to use a needle to change the switch position.
    Please help us, I'm very happy to receive the Omega but I was not able to see it working šŸ˜ž

• I have the same problem. My switch is broken, and I have a needle, but don't see how to turn it on- there's nothing in the slot where the switch was.

• Hi @Chuck-Dee, I'm really sorry about the bad experience! Can you take a close-up picture of your dock where the switch is supposed to be? Let's see what's it looks like and see if there's anything we can do about it.

• @Boken-Lin Posted the pictures. Wasn't sure if you got notified.

• Hi @Chuck-Dee, I just saw it. Please insert the needle into the point where the red arrow shows, and pull to the left. Please let me know if that works. Also, please insert the Omega all the way into the dock. You shouldn't be able to see the pins on the Omega once it is properly inserted into the dock.

broken switch

Please let me know if this helps.

• I also received my Omega with the switch pre broken, although I didnt notice until 2 days ago (5/31/2016) because i never opened the box (I didn't get my battery dock and was upset). I found a use for the Omega without using a battery, so I figured I would start a project. I spent about an hour trying to figure out why the darn thing wouldn't turn on. A little bit of tinker time is to be expected with anything new. I am really loving this little board. I am actually upset now that I can't buy another šŸ™‚

On to my question, is it ok to just leave the switch in the on position all the time and plug in the usb power to turn it on? Are there side effects of doing this that may only show after time?

• I guess there is no problem. I just would type halt in terminal before take it of the USB plug. So at least you don't have a data loss.

Make a request on the Helpdesk to substitute your device.

• Had this same problem and the halt and unplug seems like a better suggestion then just unplugging it. Thanks.

• One unfortunate problem with having a unit with a broken power switch and that is you can not unbrick using the procedure for debricking your omega.
    Unless you want to go through the nasty serial port flashing method šŸ˜ž

• @Guest
    I have replied in your thread here that you can use the Reset switch to soft-start the Omega in the same way as the power switch if the power switch is stuck to ON.

Gabe

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.