We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Convert a regular USB hard drive to networked drive

• Hi there,

I got this 1TB USB 2 hard drive in a case that's rather roomy, enough for an Onion+Mini Dock. I just wondered if the Onion would have enough power to make it a decent networked drive. More specifically, would there be file sharing protocols packages available for it?

I know this isn't really IoT.

• @Patrick-Nou In principle this should be possible.
    I run my Omega with a 32GB USB memory drive stick plugged in to the USB port
    The USB port derives it's power from power supplied to the Micro-USB connector.
    The USB drive can be mounted on any suitable directory on the Omega - see https://wiki.onion.io/Tutorials/Using-USB-Storage
    Additionally, any such USB drive can be used to extend the Omega's available system disk space - see https://wiki.onion.io/Tutorials/Using-USB-Storage-as-Rootfs
    The file system on the Omega can be accessed using FTP or SCP

My only concern might be over whether the power regulator that supplies power from the micro-USB port to your 1TB USB drive on the USB port has sufficient capacity for your drive.

• In fact I doubt the micro USB port would provide enough power. As this is a 3.5 inch hard drive, I thought it would be easier to use the existing 12V power supply, buck it to 5V to feed the Onion.

But no other option than FTP or SCP?

• @Patrick-Nou You are probably right about the power.

FTP and SCP are the only ones I know about since I use them and they do all I want.
    However, a quick search also suggests that there is a SAMBA server available on the Omega. Doing opkg list samba* shows:

• samba36-client - 3.6.25-5 - Samba 3.6 SMB/CIFS client
      samba36-server - 3.6.25-5 - The Samba software suite is a collection of programs that implements the
      SMB protocol for UNIX systems, allowing you to serve files and printers to
      Windows, NT, OS/2 and DOS clients. This protocol is sometimes also referred
      to as the LanManager or Netbios protocol.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.