We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Firmware 007: A License to Node

• updated! cheers @Lazar-Demin

• @Lazar-Demin Sorry to be picky, I know you people are all very busy, but would it be possible to update the Firmware Change Log at https://wiki.onion.io/Documentation/Firmware-Changelog to cover this latest version.

While I'm at it, would it be possible to re-instate the information on the Wiki that used to list the most recent Latest Changes - I found it very useful to check this form time to time to see what i might have missed - I now miss it 😞

Thanks for all the good work.

• @Lazar-Demin I may have been a bit premature with my request for update to Firmware Change Log - have just noticed it is now updated. Thanks 🙂

• Finally!! This is some great news!

I was starting to get a little worried because as a Kickstarter backer I still haven't seen many of the things that were promised during the campaign. Even things like the Cloud and App Store that were supposed to be released in February (as stated in many topics in this forum) are still unavailable.

But this nodejs 4.3 and npm support is surely great!
    Can't wait to do some tests with Blynk now. 😃

Keep up the good work guys.

• Daniel, how can interact with blynk?
    I mean, how can send blynk commands from let's say Android app to omega?
    Do you have / know any good how to to follow?
    Thanks

• No space left on device

Even after doing a Factory Reset (firmware .7), I start with just 7MB of free space.
    I install nodejs (opkg update; opkg install nodejs), and after that, when I try to install NPM (opkg install npm), halfway through the install, I get a No space left on device error.
    And not only NPM is not installed, but the space is left occupied (by the NPM download and the expanded files, I guess)...

Is it possible to install nodejs and NPM without adding any external storage??

Cheers!

• I got the same space problem, and I hadn't installed any other packages before that.

• Hi there,

thanks for the release!
    I both installed node and npm -with storage extension- but npm install seems give some errors:

npm WARN package.json test@1.0.0 No repository field.
    npm WARN package.json test@1.0.0 No README data
    npm ERR! Linux 3.18.27
    npm ERR! argv "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/npm" "install" "--save" "ws"
    npm ERR! node v4.3.1
    npm ERR! npm v2.14.12
    npm ERR! code ENOTFOUND
    npm ERR! errno ENOTFOUND
    npm ERR! syscall getaddrinfo

Anyone else having the issues?

Anyway, once manually added the packages, node seems to running fine (as far as i tested it)

• Wow! I can now try to build my dream iBeacon 🙂

• administrators

Right now, you will need to transfer your rootfs to USB external storage to install both node and npm, as mentioned in the original post:

@Lazar-Demin said:

NPM is also available and can be installed with:

opkg install npm

Note that it takes up quite a bit of space, so you will most likely need to transfer your rootfs to USB storage to install both NPM and node.

We’re working on reducing the amount of space the default programs take up so that additional storage is not required to use both programs. Stay tuned.

• @Lazar-Demin

Note that it takes up quite a bit of space, so you will most likely need to transfer your rootfs to USB storage to install both NPM and node.

So, is it most likely, or is it always that way?... Most likely = MUST?
    Why not write MUST in the first place. IF you already know that starting from scratch requires the use of external storage, please be more clear about that in the post.

The disappointing thing is, as far as I have read in the community, that Blynk, node.js, and almost any cool use requires external storage!
    It adds space, power consumption, complexity...

It's a shame that all the beauty of the onion (small, simple, compact) is lost because of the insufficient storage 😞

Can we expect to have a lighter/streamlined release that does not require external storage?
    Cheers

• I just updated my firmware about two hours ago and have just installed node. I'm getting an "Illegal Instruction" when I try to run node for anything other than reporting the version information (-v).

Thoughts folks? I still have free space left on my onion as I removed python-light prior to this. Can't even run a HelloWorld app 😞

• administrators

@Stephen-Tunney which firmware did you upgrade to? also, which version of node does node -v return?

• I'm also getting ENOTFOUND when doing an npm install.

• Good thing to have finally recent Node support. That I think makes the omega the cheapest device able to run node at this time.
    The requirement for USB storage is a bit bad, probably having a SD card socket on the board would be a good thing to consider for further iterations.
    Thanks anyway to the onion team for the hard work!
    Greg

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.