We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Homemade Stock Ticker tutorial

• I am interested in trying to work with Python on the Onion, so I tried to walk through the "homemade stock ticker" tutorial in the projects section. I followed the instructions thoroughly but in the end could not reproduce the results of the project. Upon running a single instance of the code I received the following error:

root@Omega-2166:/# ./stock.sh AAPL

Clearing display
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./stock_script.py", line 5, in <module>
    import json
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/json/init.py", line 108, in <module>
    from .decoder import JSONDecoder
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 24, in <module>
    NaN, PosInf, NegInf = _floatconstants()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 18, in _floatconstants
    _BYTES = '7FF80000000000007FF0000000000000'.decode('hex')
    LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding
    Initializing display
    Writing '' to display

It appears to me that there is some incompatibility with the JSON lib that the tutorial calls for importing. I loaded Python per the tutorial, but it looks like some additional step is necessary. Has anyone worked with this tutorial and gotten a different result?

• administrators

@Michael-Matyas Try running:

opkg update
    opkg install python-codecs

If you get further errors, you might have installed python-light instead of the full python package.
    To install the full python package:

opkg update
    opkg install python

• I'm getting a similar error on this same program and these commands both said that python is up to date?

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.