We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

omega_garage

• I have created a garage door controller using the omega. I then hooked it into my pre-existing raspberry pi control hub. Fun weekend project!

Check out more of the project details and pictures here: hackaday.io

0_1469420848305_DSC00698 - Copy.JPG

The pi gui showing the garage states and the corresponding buttons. "Main" garage and "Talon" are the two garage doors I have here.
    0_1469420761631_image1 - Copy.png

• administrators

@James-Harding Looks great!

Out of curiosity, does the Pi GUI run on a small touchscreen attached to a wall?

• @Lazar-Demin As a matter of fact...

This pi is just a terminal in the house to access all the goodies.
    0_1469661850936_DSC00726 - Copy.JPG

This Pi is up high and is the actual pi hosting the webpage and controlling the RF/IR/OMEGA
    0_1469661899865_DSC00727 - Copy.JPG

• I got here from the Kickstarter for the Omega 2. This right here is the whole reason I bought into the kickstarter. I want to use the DO app for iOS through IFTTT to open/close my garage door if I happen to forget. Tied to that, I wonder how difficult it would be to detect that I am away from home, or leave a certain radius, the unit would close the garage door if open. If the door was closed, it would do nothing. I dont know. The other aspect would be one of convenience - if I am on my motorcycle and come home, I want the door to open automatically (if the radius is possible).

I am using the whole radius thing with my lights hooked up with WeMo devices through IFTTT, so my assumption is this would be possible as well.

I am no programmer, no maker, just a very curious and somewhat lazy and forgetful guy.

• @Brad-Buskey I'm not to sure about the DO app, but I think some people may have had success with the the Blynk app. how to install blynk

• @James-Harding I will be looking at anything when I get the units. I am actually excited for them and realize that the end of November is still a long way off.

I am wondering what the best way to detect if the garage is open or closed. I wont always be using the app and Omega to open/close the garage. This is way outside my sphere of knowledge.

• @Brad-Buskey said in omega_garage:

I am wondering what the best way to detect if the garage is open or closed. I wont always be using the app and Omega to open/close the garage.

There are sensors to measure distances. You will probably have to install such one on the garage. If the distance is 0 the garage is closed. If not 0 it is still open.

• @Luciano-S. Thanks for the idea. Will need to look into this. Wonder also if it can go in hand with the Nest's Away setting (Have a nest dropcam in garage). Lots to think about, especially without having the unit in hand.

• @Brad-Buskey I used magnetic contact sensors to determine if the garage was open or closed. Essentially when one of these sensors comes close to a magnet, its state changes. So my garage doors have a couple of magnets glued to them, and the sensor itself is mounted to the frame of the house where the garage door sits. You see these sensors a lot in a house that has an ADT (or similar) alarm system installed. Here is a link to a sensor that is similar to the one I used: https://www.adafruit.com/products/375

• @James-Harding What have you used to build the GUI on your screen?

Thanks!

Nathan

• @Brad-Buskey said in omega_garage:

if I am on my motorcycle and come home, I want the door to open automatically (if the radius is possible).

I see where you are going with this, a Bat Cave Garage Door. šŸ˜‰ It certainly is possible. Anything that will try to automatically connect to your main controler via WiFi or blutooth (with proper security signature) will do to alert it.

About the open/close state of the door, maybe your system already has a light that you could use. If not, the simplest and cheapest way is to use a magnet switch (magnet on the door + glass fuse-like switch on the door frame).

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.