Idea Dump

• Is it possible at all to stack several Omegas on Expansion docks to then create a tinie tiny web server? There's some obvious concerns: Powering all of the devices, configuring them to properly communicate with one another, and if it actually will work at all.

PHP, Python, Ruby, and Java all have micro-frameworks that would/could work for a project like this; so programming it wouldn't be a huge issue.

• @Alec-Stewart said in Idea Dump:

al Omegas on Expansion docks to then create a tinie tiny web server? There's some obvious concerns: Powering all of the devices, configuring them to properly communicate with on

Use a stack of ethernet expansions. Then, use a switch and load balancer system for all the omegas.
    If you want to stack them with direct GPIO, I see too much trouble to make it work fine.

It could look like this:

• 16x 32 display board controlled via phone or pc
    I would like to make a 16x32 or larger led display board to put in a shop window and have it say open or closed and perhaps show store hours that I could control with my pc or phone and add timers to it. I'm wondering if anyone can or has designed it with the omega or omega 2 ?
    I would use something like this http://www.dhgate.com/product/led-rgb-64-32-pixels-indoor-full-color-full/375024076.html#s1-14-7b;searl|1071565168
    but I need to know what else I would need besides the power supply can anyone offer advice ?

• @Michael-Hebert said in Idea Dump:

I would like to make a 16x32 or larger led display board

I would use something like this http://www.dhgate.com/product/led-rgb-64-32-pixels-indoor-full-color-full/375024076.html#s1-14-7b;searl|1071565168
    but I need to know what else I would need besides the power supply can anyone offer advice ?

That seems potentially similar to a product Adafruit used to sell and posts some resources for at https://www.adafruit.com/product/420

Going by what is there, it may be easiest to interface by using an auxiliary microcontroller to drive the display, and then set the message over a serial or USB interface from the Omega. For example, Onion->Arduino->Display.

That's not to say that a direct connection is necessarily impossible, but unless you are designing a product, the effort in finding suitably precise control over enough I/Os and servicing them regularly is probably not worth the trouble compared to the cost of adding a helper micro, and even in a product, that helper micro could cost less than a dollar, while giving flexibility to replace the Omega with a different wifi solution in the future.

For that matter you could possibly build the whole thing around an ESP8266 instead, though you'd likely need a board that exposes almost all of the pins and not just the few of some boards.

• @José-Luis-Cánovas now that you mention it, directly connecting them via GPIO seems a little convoluted when you could just do what you suggested. I could make a server rack, getting ethernet cables isn't an issue, getting a switch and a load balancer system isn't an isse, it's now just a matter of saving up and getting 3-5 more omega 2's, AND ethernet expansions. It sounds like a super awesome project to do though.

• I would like to build a functioning robot made with the Omega 2 plus. Are there coding languages that need to be downloaded?

Zachary Haslam

• I would like to build a digital photo frame with Instagram or Google photos feeding the photos.
    Has somebody already done this?

• I would love to build a simple setup where the onion2 can run on a battery and be placed in a park or similar. here it should log all "devices" that it sees when scanning for wifi/bt devices in the surrounding. I would like to have a bunch of these setups in the same park/plaza and use the logged data from all of them combined to do a sort of movement pattern analysis for the guests.

• I am trying to make a flexible digital led display, and I found one NEW LED "APA107 LED", so how can i make the display? and what kinds of controller/decoder i need?
    datasheet for the APA107 LED, http://www.newstarleds.com/product/20170406144622929.pdf