We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

License Onion Omega / OnionOS

• Where can I/we find the terms and conditions of the license for:

A: Onion Omega (2) and the mini & extension dock ?

B: OnionOS (software is based on OpenWRT; the additions; config for above mentioned Hardware) ?

I googled but could not find anything ... except about the OpenWRT:

License

OpenWrt is free software, provided AS-IS and without any warranty.

If not otherwise stated in the source files, the OpenWrt build environment is provided under the terms of the GNU General Public License Version 2. The exact GPLv2 license text can be found in the file LICENSE in the source repository.

The OpenWrt distribution (precompiled images etc.) bundles a lot of third party applications and modules which are available under various other Open Source licenses or Public Domain. The sources for those packages can be found on the OpenWrt mirror. Please refer to these source packages to find out which license applies to them.

We expect that you are knowledgeable about GNU/Linux and basic networking concepts, before you install OpenWrt on your router. Support may be provided on a voluntary basis by developers and fellow users, but is not guaranteed.

@administrators who from you is responsible for that?

We do frequently discuss this between the requests here in the community. But I belief it deserves a own request and a clear regulation/answer.

The speculations about it takes always a lot of my tinker-time where I would prefer to invest for testing and write a tutorial.

• If OpenWrt is GPLv2, then 'OnionOS' is GPLv2 as well, plain and simple ... unless Onion has a specific agreement with the OpenWrt people. Further, Omega owners should already have received the license with their purchase, either the text itself, or a link to it. That's a license requirement! No way around it!

In my opinion, the forum is not the place to 'hold' the license (but it can certainly link to it). If you didn't receive it already, contact Onion directly!

And if you are inquiring about the Onion2, that is not the time yet. Its release is in November, and things can change until then (for example a BSD license instead).

• @fossette said in License Onion Omega / OnionOS:

If OpenWrt is GPLv2, then 'OnionOS' is GPLv2 as well, plain and simple ... unless
    In my opinion, the forum is not the place to 'hold' the license (but it can certainly link to it). If you didn't receive it already, contact Onion directly!

That's why I'm asking who is responsible and where we could find the terms ... if necessary i will talk personally. The OpenWRT License just shows how it should be also for onion.io, possible to find when we google about it šŸ˜‰
    As i wrote, i not really want to discuss this with the Community members and going on with speculating about this.
    But a up- or down-wote of the request would help to see if this is really a need or not.

• Still waiting for an answer...

In meantime some nice thoughts about open/free software.

• Luciano, as long as you say:

Still waiting

I will reply:

Not a priority, not an issue

Looks like you don't understand the concept of derived work under the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE. Here's OpenWRT's one:
    https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/LICENSE

Here's a VERY IMPORTANT quote:

This General Public License does not permit incorporating your program into proprietary programs.

Here, we understand that 'your program' refers to OnionOS.

PS: By priority, I mean to say that I much prefer that all efforts be toward the Omega2 delivery, than pointless license evidence.

But thanks for the link you provided. It makes a nice distinction between Free Software and Open Source Software. I never devoted any attention to the difference. So obviously, OnionOS is Free Software (where the source code has yet to be fully disclosed to be able to build a nice Omega and/or Omega2 firmware painlessly šŸ˜‰ ).

PS2: My preference would be Open Source Software, but that is clearly impossible because of the OpenWRT's license.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.