Better go for the updated open MT76 driver. Like Luz recommended. At the time the MT76 driver didnt work so I used the mt76x8 one. I used the default kernel version from original LEDE source.
The latest MT76 driver pulled by the Lede Master branch appears to work great at first, but then the data stops after a few minutes. The client must then disassociate and re-associate with the access point to get data to flow again, so something is going on.
I will try the Mt76x8 driver now, I assume you mean the one from the WRTnode repository...
Edit: I can't get the mt76x8 driver fromt he WRTnode repository to show up in my make menuconfig (the ralink category shows up now, but it's empty).