We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Very Hot Onion2+ after plugging in expansion boards.

• I finally got round to getting started with my Onion. I plugged the Onion 2+ into the Expansion Dock and it appeared to work in that the amber LED came on solidly and stayed on. I didn't have Bonjour installed on my Windows PC so I installed it and restarted. At the same time I turned the power on the board off and plugged in the Ethernet Expansion board and the OLED Expansion board that came with it. When I turned the Onion2 on this time the Amber LED didn't light and the metal case on the Onion2+ got very hot. Even if I just use the Onion2 on the Expansion Dock now the Amber LED doesn't light (the one on the dock pulses on) and the case gets very hot.

I presume it's dead?

Andy

• Don't take the heat as a sign that your machine isn't working. Mine is in working order (except for the SD Card problem that most people have), and it runs very very hot all the time. I guess this is why computers have fans in them.

• re: this time the Amber LED didn't light and the metal case on the Onion2+ got very hot

Probably some kind of short-circuit condition, just saying...

ccs_hello

• @WayneL

OK, thanks that's interesting and useful to know. The temperature of the metal casing is very hot it would probably remove my skin if I didn't let go pretty quickly. Is that in any way comparable to yours?

The other more telling sign is that where the Amber LED had previously lit all the time it's now dark all the time....

• Mine is not getting hot.
    Warm but not that hot.

Does your Omega provide a wifi hotspot when powered?

Have you tried to power it without a dock?

Could it be that you have put it in the dock in the false direction
    because if that happened then your Omega is dead.

• @Andy-Nevill

Using a basic kitchen thermometer, the temperature of the top of the Omega (near the MAC address) reads 99Ā°F. I feels much hotter ā€” scalding potential ā€” but that's all I can get with the inexact thermometer I have.

This is at idle. I hate to think what it's going to do once I start making it do hard things.

• @Adrian-Rix said in Very Hot Onion2+ after plugging in expansion boards.:

Mine is not getting hot.
    Warm but not that hot.

Does your Omega provide a wifi hotspot when powered?

Yes

Have you tried to power it without a dock?

No. That was the point of buying the dock ā€” so I wouldn't have to wire my own power. Adding a dock shouldn't matter, since it was designed to accept docks.

Could it be that you have put it in the dock in the false direction
    because if that happened then your Omega is dead.

My Omega is designed to only go together in true directions. It is not possible to join the Omega to the dock in a false direction.

• @Adrian-Rix

Hi Adrian,

No hotspot as I can't leave the Onion2+ connected very long as it would melt my desk šŸ™‚

I didn't connect it to the dock the wrong way round as it worked before I plugged in the expansion boards and I haven't separated it from the dock since.

Andy

• Perhaps a short? Visible solder bridges? You could share hires photos of what's visible. How many amps does your Expansion Dock take? Now, what is the serial output looking like?
    https://community.onion.io/topic/1329/tip-switch-the-omega-to-verbose

• Hi All,

+1. Omega2+ was running great for about a month. Then I powered it off and plugged in the relay expansion after having just the OLED expansion installed. After that it wouldn't power up. I plugged everything in correctly in the same way that the expansions had worked previously. For whatever reason this time it freaked.

In the past I had both the OLED and the relay expansions working independently or plugged in together.

I tried the Omega2+ in the breadboard and it wouldn't power up there either.

I let it rest for a day and tried it again tonight. This time it booted all the way up but now it gets very hot. The OLED still works and I'm able to push messages to it from IFTTT but the Omega2+ gets so hot I'm afraid to leave it plugged in.

Side note, the red component of the RGB LED on the expansion dock doesn't seem to light up as strongly as before. Also when I reassembled and fired it up again, instead of the RGB LED being red it was almost white, for a few seconds, then went to very dim red. Then off when boot was complete, like normal.

I've started a ticket and I'll let you know what we come up with.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.