We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Is Omega2 5v tolerant?

• Just confirming, after reading about ESP8266 being 5 V tolerant.

• @Athar-Mian No, the Omega 2 is not 5V tolerant. Also,I don't see how it's in any way related to the ESP8266.

• @WereCatf If that's true, (and I believe you because all your other posts have been spot on šŸ™‚ ) I am going to have some work to do. I have various items of hardware that use 5v and work fine on the Omega1 because it IS 5v tolerant.
    Looks like I am going to have to invest in some level shifters šŸ˜ž

• @WereCatf I think the OP referred to ESP's as the manufacturer states they are not 5V tolerant yet some users have no problems. Personally if a manufacturer says their product is not 5V tolerant then I would accept that even if some users are able to use 5V with no apparent problems.

• @Costas-Costas Espressif does actually say they are 5V-tolerant, their CEO himself even went out and told so on Facebook not long ago. There's just a lot of confusion about it. The ESP8266 was designed for IoT-applications, to directly interface with various kinds of sensors and such, so it was designed to be more robust about these kinds of things, but the MT7688 was solely designed for router-applications and as such there was no need to design it to be 5V-tolerant.

• @WereCatf said in Is Omega2 5v tolerant?:

@Costas-Costas Espressif does actually say they are 5V-tolerant, their CEO himself even went out and told so on Facebook not long ago.

Presumably the CEO did this because Espressif has lots of literature that states they are NOT 5V tolerant.

• @Costas-Costas said in Is Omega2 5v tolerant?:

Presumably the CEO did this because Espressif has lots of literature that states they are NOT 5V tolerant.

Well, that is true. They never intended the ESP8266 to be used by Makers in the first place, they figured they'd just sell it to Chinese companies who'd make products out of them, but then some clever nerds got their hands on them and all of a sudden Espressif had an enormous community of Makers they had not anticipated or prepared for. From where I stand, it just looks like a communication-problem, both internal and external, and it's taken a good while to clear it up. They've certainly learned from their mistakes and all the documentation and software for the ESP32 is in a whole damn lot better shape, and Espressif is openly embracing the Maker-community now.

Now, as much as I like this topic, I think I should stop derailing this thread. OP got their answer and I think I'll try to find some other thread to derail next!

• @WereCatf

Now you know why I mentioned ESP ! You never know.

Btw I do appreciate all your answers. No derailing here....This certainly is a very important topic, like overclocking.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.