We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Fried Omega2+

• Hi,

here is what I did.

I put my Omega2+ on an expansion board.
    Connected through serial
    Booted
    On a USB drive copied omega2p-v0.1.9-b159.bin
    Copied the file to /tmp
    Ran sysupgrade omega2p-v0.1.9-b159.bin

It all seemed to go well, I got the prompt back, so I decided to move the chip to a Power Dock. When
    moving the chip, it did seem a bit hot.

Booted the omega2+ with power dock and I could ssh to it.

A couple of hours later, the chip was not responding. When I touched the chip it was burning hot, you
    could not touch it more than a fraction of a second.

Moved it back to the expansion dock... still dead and getting to hot to touch.

The docks are working fine with other chips.

There are no obvious shorts on the chip, and it was working OK before the sysupgrade

Any idea what went wrong?

TIA

• @François-Wautier This is a strange case. I have trouble believing the sysupgrade to b159 is causing your Omega to overheat ... Too hot to touch is too hot. Could the Power dock's power be out of Omega specs? If you have a VOM can you measure the voltage on that dock's VIN pin to GND? It should be 3.3 volts.

In my experience when the Omega2+ is run at a higher voltage (DON'T do this!) then the RF shield does become HOT to the touch. Also, this may permanently alter the unit's ability to work within normal specs, ie my unit that was powered at 4.7V for an hour needs 3.4V+ to boot and has developed other quirks.

Otherwise, the "too hot to touch" condition suggests a solder bridge on the board somewhere, causing a short between several of the traces. Do you have a means to measure that Omega's mA load while on the Expansion dock, ie with a bench power supply? A sustained higher than expected current draw ( .20 amp) is the sign that you have a short.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.