We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Webcam with audio / microphone?

• Does anyone here know if it's possible to connect an audio-enabled webcam to the Onion (meaning a webcam that has a built-in microphone)? The goal would be to be able to hear audio along with the video when viewing the stream using the webcam app .. or when viewing the stream in a web browser. If this is possible, then is there a particular webcam that works best for this?

On a similar note ... if I wanted to be able to connect 2 different USB devices to the Onion (ie: a webcam + audio device) .. does anyone here know of some kind of USB splitter or hub that doesn't require an external power source?

Thanks,
    -- Yvan

• No one know the answer to this question, I presume?

• @Yvan-Gagnon A quick search on amazon.com came up with quite a few hits. I thought this one was nice for ~$10USD: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-4-Port-Macbook-Surface-Notebook/dp/B00XMD7KPU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1549578745&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+hub

The device is powered only over the USB.

--Bill

• @Yvan-Gagnon On your original question I don't know enough to give you an affirmative "yes", but wouldn't you think virtually all webcam and corresponding apps would have video and audio encoded in the serial stream as a primary feature requirement? Sounds like it's your requirement, so use that to down-select candidate webcams.

Have you done a search yet for webcams?

If and when you settle on a solution I suggest you summarize here as some people, myself included, would certainly be interested.

--Bill

• Yes, I've already started looking at webcams (on Amazon), and definitely found a few that have built in microphones. I was just hoping to hear from someone who can confirm that they've already tried it and that it does in fact work.

What about connecting 2 different USB devices to the Onion (ie: a webcam + audio device)? Does anyone here know of some kind of USB splitter or hub that doesn't require an external power source?

-- Yvan

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.