We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Ethernet PoE with the Ethernet expansion

• Hello,

is PoE possible at all using the Omega2 and Ethernet expansions? This is a perfect device to power over PoE when possible and the project needs an ethernet expansion!

• You have to make sure the Ethernet magnetics is the type that supports PoE (i.e., the windings can handle the current supplied from upstream.)

What's the component part number printed on that Ethernet magnetics?
    (In one of the pic it showed M3066ANL. That type seems to be not specifically designed for PoE applications.)

• If it's about 802.3af PoE compliant approach...

Above statement is for DIY modification on existing Ethernet dock (e.g., adding a RT9400 module and a large capacitor.)
    This does not preclude a new design with factory built-in PoE capability nor
    a separate PoE adapter module in front of the Ethernet dock.

There is also an ad-hoc, non-standard approach using pairs 4+5 and 7+8.

In all cases, the PoE supply voltage needs to be pretty high such that the instantaneous power demand (over the long and thin Ethernet cable ) from O2 will be less susceptible to cause the power-dip/brown-out condition and then hang the O2.

• I use PoE at work for all kind of networking.

Usually, I make sure I'm using an appropriate switch (which I have) to feed power to devices, the switch is usually nearby such devices.

I am too noob to understand your last comment but from what I can tell the Omega is not meant to be powered by PoE by default using the stock ethernet expansion.

This is the ethernet expansion: (M3066ANL 1730)
    0_1556883650749_photo_2019-05-03_13-40-05.jpg

• @Filipe-Madureira What's happening if you pull out the micro USB cable?

• @György-Farkas It turns off, it isn't working as PoE out of the box unfortunatelly

• @Filipe-Madureira Yes, as expected. Onion's Ethernet Expansion provides only wired 10/100 network connectivity via a standard Ethernet cable.

Power over Ethernet
    Power over Ethernet or PoE describes any of several standard or ad-hoc systems which pass electric power along with data on twisted pair Ethernet cabling. This allows a single cable to provide both data connection and electric power to devices...

Here you are an example Omega PoE Dock
    I think this dock is too compact, too complicated, too expensive.

If I remember well @luz has made a nice custom dock with (P)PoE capabilities - with an appropriate Ethernet jack and some ~5 .. 39V to 3.3V (or 5V) voltage converter. Unfortunetely I can't find this post.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.