We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Tau Lidar points_3D

• Hello everyone!

I have a question about points_3d.

In the documentation it says:
    3D points: list of unorganized 3D points. [X, Y, Z, R, G, B] XYZ: 3D coordinates in sensor coordinates reference system, unit is meter. RGB: pseudo RGB color values in a distance range based on smallest and largest Z values set by Camera.setRange(Z1, Z2).

However I'm trying to find a way to get a specific point in a specific location on the screen.

Is there a way to get the array to be more organized, or atleast a way to find out where the specific point is?

The reason I want to know where on the screen a specific point is, is because I am trying to find the distance between points. For that I need to know which point in the array corresponds with a specific location on the screen.

If anyone is able to help with this problem or atleast point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

• administrators

@JackHulspas Two suggestions from the team:

1. The Frame object has a data_depth member that should be more useful for what you're looking to do. It's a one dimensional array of float32 that holds the raw distance data. It's one dimensional but holds the entire 160*60 frame sequentially, so you may have to do a little transforming.
    2. Write new methods or modify existing methods in the FrameBuilder class, to convert raw distance data array to organized points, by not skipping invalid points. This is defined in d3.py in the TauLidarCommon module.

Let us know how it goes!

• @Lazar-Demin Thank you for replying!

I shall see if i can use the data_depth method to do what I need.

But wouldn't the points_3D be more useful? Since I am trying to find two points on the screen to measure the distance. The 2 points most likely won't be on the same axis, so in order to get the distance between points wouldn't it be better to use the points_3D fuction, as it returns 3D coordinates in meters? Because as as far as I can tell the data_depth method returns how far the point is away from the camera (correct me if I'm wrong).

I shall also let you know if I make any progress using data_depth to get the distance, thanks!

• Banned

This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.