We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Arduino dock examples?

• Hi, is there any samples/examples on how to interface the Onion Omega with the Arduino Dock? Couldn't seem to find any schematics of the Arduino dock. Other than that, do we program the Arduino Dock only through the ICSP pins or is there any other ways to program it? Thanks.

• Hi @N-Futura, currently the Omega communicates with the Arduino Dock via I2C. However, to flash the sketch onto the Arduino Dock, you will need to have a USB to Serial adapter, and flash the sketch to it using the Arduino IDE the same way that you flash Arduino Pro or Arduino Pro Mini (through serial). At the same time, we are working on softwares on the Omega that allows you flash sketches to the Arduino Dock directly via the Omega.

Please let me know if this answers your questions.

Cheers,
    Boken.

• Is there any examples of the the two communicating? even something basic?

• administrators

@Chris-Crumpacker we've put up a guide for the Arduino Dock. Check out https://wiki.onion.io/tutorials/Arduino-Dock/Using-the-Arduino-Dock

• Ok I have set up my Arduino dock (wired up and programmed the new bootloader) and set up Arduino programming on my PC and successfully been able to send and execute the example 'Blink2' via WiFi. Its great being able to access the Omega / Arduino Dock via WiFi I can now program from my Laptop and my Win7 Pc via WiFi.
    NOTE: It did not work at first I have to update my Arduino Platform on the PC to Version 1.6.6 (I had V1.6.5) and then I updated all the Boards using the Board Manager & same for Libraries, Edit the Boards file (I backed up the old one 1st in another directory away from the Arduino location). Add the line found it this setup guide [https://wiki.onion.io/tutorials/Arduino-Dock/Using-the-Arduino-Dock](link url).
    ? I am not sure if the Boards file will be overwritten next time I update the Arduino Dev environment on PC?

• Another Question. I want to be able to send and receive data from my Arduino project a DDS (Direct Digital Synthesizer) for my Ham Radio project, to the Omega then by using my Browser connected to the Omega see the data or send new data. Basically Send a Frequency or Receive the Frequency back from the DDS by WiFi.

Now I understand the I2C is used to communicate. I am sure I can probably work out how to send and receive ASCII data on the Arduino but have little idea how I can do same on Omega then Display it on Browser and likewise send the contents of a webpage entry box back via I2C to the Android.

I think this will be a typical requirement for many projects?

The DDS will retain the Rotary encoder and the 2x16 LCD display on my current Arduino only project and will test to see if an Omega is connected if so will also accept Rx/ Tx Data from the Omega via WiFi.

Thanks for anyone's help.

• @Anthony-Wakefield The board files should be at a separate directory in your computer, so it shouldn't be overwritten next time you update the Arduino Dev environment.

To display the data transmitted via DDS on your browser you will need to write a server on your Omega that listens for I2C signal, and serve the signals received onto a webpage that can be displayed on your browser. Sending the data is done similarly. The serve will receive input from your browser via a browser form or an AJAX call, and translate that information to I2C and send it to the Arduino.

Please let me know if that makes sense.

• @Boken-Lin sorry for long delay in responding have been away.
    Yes understand a webserver is required but not being a linux guru is there a Onion library that I can use to talk to the IC2 I know the Arduino has same. All I need to do is send an ASCII string in both directions any maybe use Python on the Omega.
    If someone has example I2C code would much appreciate it being posted along with library download details.

Thanks Tony

• @Anthony-Wakefield Code for I2C can be found here: https://github.com/OnionIoT/i2c-exp-driver
    Amongst the various sub-directories are some example Python code and some C code.

Note that when using the Omega to communicate with the Arduino using I2C, at present there is only code for the Omega to act as I2C Master, so the Arduino will have to be programmed to act as an I2C Slave.

I understand that at some time in the future there will be code to allow the Omega to act as I2C slave (I may try writing something for that myself but that will be some way off)

• @Kit-Bishop Thanks very much for that, I am getting slower as I age being retired my codeing skills are ok for higher levels but biased to wards Delphi for Windows. Linux is hard work although Unix a long time ago I was just ok. I think the Raspberry Pi has spoilt me so much info available makes it easy.

Tony

• @Anthony-Wakefield Hi Tony, join the club šŸ™‚ I too am of an age were I could be retired though I am actually still working. I find keeping the brain active and solving problems makes things easier. A bit like riding a bike, once you can do it you don't forget but still need to keep active to keep it all going.

Good luck with what you are working on šŸ™‚ I find this community forum pretty good for assistance.

• Thanks for discussing such a useful information here.
    I also want to build a wireless system for the range if upto 1Km with a speed of 2Mbps.
    Is it possible using the Arduino and the NRF24L01?
    Or you people would like to suggest any other module?

hdi pcb

• Note that when using the Omega to communicate with the Arduino using I2C, at present there is only code for the Omega to act as I2C Master, so the Arduino will have to be programmed to act as an I2C Slave.

pcba services (hdi pcb)

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.