We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Documentation is incomplete

• Does anyone know where to get how to's and/or step by step instructions on the Omega2?

I am trying to see how to work the Device Explorer but no idea on how exactly works. I am lost and since there is NO project book finish yet, well I am stuck on how to do stuff with the Onion2. I want to:

Send commands to Omega2 via the web such as turn the onboard led, read temperatures when connecting a sensor, turn the gpio to output and make it high(1) or low(0), all the good stuff.

Since Omega2 is new, well, there is really nothing I can find that will point me in the right direction of how to do the above things. A tutorial on doing basic tasks would be great.

Thanks

• @Manuel-Godinez it's certainly a steep learning curve with the Omega2.

I have a basic understanding of the Device Explorer but to be honest I wouldn't say that i'm currently able to control the device via the internet.

Even the Editor and Terminal apps that give some access to the Omega2 don't seem to be available remotely or is that just me that doesn't have access to it remotely?

Also the GPIO Tool app is only showing Omega not Omega2 when accessed remotely but locally Omega2 is available. For an IOT device the Omega2 seems to be lacking basic internet control.

• @Manuel-Godinez If you are not the type of person that go on a hunt for the bit & piece of information here and there, I recommend that you wait for the PROJECT BOOK announcement, so your mind is kept sane, and your Omega2 kept safe from permanent damages.

• @fossette Yes, I have done some digging around and found some stuff that didn't find elsewhere, but the point was that Onion in their advertising showed that everywhere they looked, most IOT devices where HARD to learn, so decided to make Omega2 the product that was suppose to be better than the others. Wrong. I learned a LOT from Arduino the first day, because it has a LOT of information around the web. But to market a product and leave the customer wanting to learn about 70% of missing stuff from the main docs, it is just ridiculous. When you market a new product, you should have 100% of the documentation. When you buy a TV, you don't get 30% of info about all the gadgets it has right? Same thing here. But well, going to have to wait for the eBook šŸ˜ž .

• @Manuel-Godinez said in Documentation is incomplete:

@fossette When you market a new product, you should have 100% of the documentation. When you buy a TV, you don't get 30% of info about all the gadgets it has right?

I think that's a fair comment but TV's have been around since Noah was a lad.

• @Manuel-Godinez said in Documentation is incomplete:

you should have 100% of the documentation. ...... But well, going to have to wait for the eBook šŸ˜ž .

If you are new you can have also a look in to the wiki ... wiki.onion.io to get an idea of the Operatingsystem etc. I bet with you that the e-Book will not be more as the Manual you have online now, just more complete.

Normally in a open-source hardware- and software community things are never from the beginning 100%. Ppl. work it together out and bring it there where it has to go.

Even Microsoft where never was open-source minded in the past, and always charged license fees, did let clients make the beta-testing and when you wanted a more sophisticated Manual you had to pay extra.

So change your mind and thins get changed šŸ˜‰

• @Costas-Costas :)) Good one! Also, the GPIO tool app (Cloud) is currently working on my end. I am running latest firmware b149.

• @Manuel-Godinez I'm also running b149. So GPIO tool is fine for you locally and via the cloud? It shows Omega 2 pinout or Omega?

• @Costas-Costas Yes, works fine. I go into the tool, and select first the Omega2 that is running, then since it has a default pin of 0 (zero) I go and either select 1 or 0 and just for the heck of it, pressed the Sync button. Once I do that, I am reading 3v when (1) high and 0 when (0) low using a voltmeter.

• But is the image for a Omega 2 or an Omega and are you seeing Omega 2 pins or just Omega pins? For example can you see pins 45 and 46 that are new to O2?

Could you please post a screenshot?

Just to add I can control some pins via the cloud but the board selection only shows Omega layout not Omega 2. So pins that are common to both MCU's are OK but not the new pins.

• @Costas-Costas Yes, I didn't look deep enough so I was just looking at the default pin 0. Seems they have not updated the page with the Omega2 pins, but just to be clear, I am using the dock and the pins layout is also not the Omega2. I was only testing using pin 0 until you mention it. Oh well, Onion has a LOT of updating to do in their hands, I only wish they would release the eBook already, but don't want to rush them or they will miss parts in that one too šŸ˜‰

• Thanks for the confirmation @Manuel-Godinez

As an experienced Blynker I don't currently need the GPIO Tool but other users certainly will.

My +2 takes snapshots from a cheapo webcam and emails them to me, all done without port forwarding and with the power of Blynk. Currently snapshots are sent on demand but can be set based on sensors or button pushes etc.

Will post more details at some stage but the setup details for Blynk are at https://wiki.onion.io/Tutorials/blynk-library
    It needs an update for +2 pinout but the developers at Blynk have it in their roadmap.

0_1484925579130_Camera Screenshots via Blynk with Omega 2 Plus without port forwarding.png

• Just coming back to the documentation I can't fine the Omega, as opposed to Omega 2 stuff.

Looks like someone has edited the Omega stuff into Omega 2 and not made the appropriate changes for Omega 2.

First thing I looked at was the onboard LED at https://docs.onion.io/omega2-docs/the-omega-led.html#the-omega-led

The path's quoted are incorrect. Don't know if they were right for the Omega as I don't have one.

• @Costas-Costas said in Documentation is incomplete:

Looks like someone has edited the Omega stuff into Omega 2 and not made the appropriate changes for Omega 2.

Yea, that's what i realized too... so check out on github ... might be better to see the difference ... and or if you find out something you can participate with pull requests to change the Omega2 Manual.
    https://github.com/OnionIoT/Onion-Docs
    versus
    https://github.com/OnionIoT/wiki

Sometimes it my has something in work on git-hub where is not published yet in wiki/doku.

• Looks like the GitHub is different to the WiKi.
    What's the reason for 2 lots of docs that need to be corrected and kept up to date?

What's the reason for 2 lots of docs that need to be corrected and kept up to date?

I bet the documentation will be the e-Book and the wiki will be the resources for omega1.

• Oh yes with the Ebook that makes 3 lots of docs.

Oh yes with the Ebook that makes 3 lots of docs.

No, did you not realize that the structure is all-ready different in the documentation? Just export as a e-document and you have your e-book where you can download ...

• Also, I think we all would greatly benefit from an ongoing FAQ section. The answers have to be validated and clear. And they should be from the designers of the product. I have spent countless hours trying to figure things out and when I think I have the answer, a new problem arises. Or the figured out problem goes bad again. And I don't know why. Like being disconnected from WiFi for no reason. I finally got it working, but afraid to touch anything!

The documentation is very hard to follow. It makes you skip around and then you can't find where you were. It's very poor to show 1 page of a topic, which doesn't continue. One has to jump back to choose the sub-topic. About the not having to login all the time. Why can't it just be remembered in the OS? Another example, the section doing a command line: oupgrade. The word is in the middle of the sentence in a very light font. You can hardly see it. It should on a line by itself, bold and red. I see many more examples like this. Clear and clean documentation so important!

The first time user, very important person, should be shown step by step how to get the Omega2+ up and working in the most basic way. When appropriate, the steps should be illustrated and explained. For a while, I didn't know if my laptop was actually a wireless client of the Omega. And didn't know the laptop has to be a LAN client of my router. This setup is not usual for a new comer.
    This is where a diagram of the connections should be shown.

To Onion Management: You do know that hundreds of UNPAID Quality Control Experts are working for you. Without us..... No Omega2+ You need to live up our bargain more.
    WE WANT YOU TO SUCCEED !

• @Don-DeGregori

1. Yes the documentation would be better if you didn't have to skip about, poor design in my book (no pun intended).

2. Noticed the almost invisible grey commands hidden within the text. +1 for new line in red.

3. Looks like fast-gpio doesn't work as documented, comes back with:

segmentation error

1. Could the Onion doc person confirm they are watching this thread or advise how they want to be informed of the errors and omissions?

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.