We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Develop your App

• Hi Guys
    Lots of questions: šŸ™‚
    How will it be possible to deploy an app to the store?
    Will it be publicly available? What should the App contain?
    Is there a preferred language? Is there an example we can check?
    Is there a time horizon for the app store in general and for deploying?
    How is ensured that there are no harmful apps?

Would love if someone is able to answer some of the questions.

Thank you
    avarx

• What i've found out is, that all apps are written in Polymer (https://www.polymer-project.org). By the way, this is a very nice framework! I really like it and has a wonderful UI library.

I created a small test app, by copy paste an existing app and modify it. This is a good way to understand, how the infrastructure of the onion console works. I guess it's a benefit, if you take a look to the polymer framework. The hole UI is based on it and the app architecture as well.

The gpio app is a good example, how an app works and interact with services.

I hope, we will have as soon as possible a best practice for it.

• @a-v

• App store is in private beta right now, and will be publicly available in the January II release of the console.
    • Omega apps are divided into two parts, the front end is written in HTML5, and as @Stefan-Zucca mentioned, written in Polymer. The backend of the Omega can be written in whatever language we support, Python, PHP, etc. We currently write our backend in C/C++.
    • There is an app in the console called onion-app-template that you can check out as an example. It is disabled by default, but you can change the icon setting in app.json.
    • We have general guidelines to review apps before making them public for all the users. There will also be a rating system, so a bad rating for an app will signify poorly-made or even harmful apps.

Hope this answers your questions.

• That is indeed very helpful. Thank you guys! šŸ‘

• @Boken-Lin said in Develop your App:

@a-v

• App store is in private beta right now, and will be publicly available in the January II release of the console.
    • Omega apps are divided into two parts, the front end is written in HTML5, and as @Stefan-Zucca mentioned, written in Polymer. The backend of the Omega can be written in whatever language we support, Python, PHP, etc. We currently write our backend in C/C++.
    • There is an app in the console called onion-app-template that you can check out as an example. It is disabled by default, but you can change the icon setting in app.json.
    • We have general guidelines to review apps before making them public for all the users. There will also be a rating system, so a bad rating for an app will signify poorly-made or even harmful apps.

Are there still some apps on the device that can be accessed? Or has the Omega changed its intended use case?

@a-v

where exactly is the apps.json file found?

• @Stefan-Zucca how did you create the small test app by copying and pasting an existing app, if you don't mind me asking...

We currently write our backend in C/C++

what do you mean by backend? is it onion-console? I saw most onion-console code is in scripts, or am I missing something

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.