SIP Client

• Hey Tinkerers.
    Im trying to setup a SIP client on a "old" Onion Omega 1 (the first ones). Also i have a rotary dial also that i want to hook up. Now im looking for a way to achieve that. I have little to none electronic skills, neither programming :-).
    I guess the rotary needs to get read out by a edge detection.
    Bell ringing i guess can be done with a relais.
    But i have no idea how to get a SIP client installed. Did some one Try that already?

• Number 1 challenge is to find a speech codec in VoIP that is suitable for MT7688's CPU (not a performance oriented)
    since there is no DSP block to offload the burden.

ccs_hello

• I looked at a USB audio card. woudl that be an option?

• Most likely not, since most of them are used for feeding digital form of audio (Hi-Fi as a main feature) into/out of a PC, while PC does the heavy lifting. You need something to perform the voice compression for the codec suite used in VoIP/SIP.

P.S. MT7688 already has I2S audio I/O, even a hardware PCM module, so USB I/O is not even needed.
    The key is something (not to present) has to do a real heavy duty job which is speech codec.

• So better take a Raspi or an alternative?

• There are people trying softphone on RPi with various degrees of success (hint: voice quality and echo cancelling.)
    RPi family IMHO isn't price competitive. (Don't get me started on the real price of Zero and Zero W...)

My suggestion is to get a unlocked VoIP gizmo from fleabay for $10- $20 and call it a day.

• hm, thats not what i expected, but yeah as it look its not possilbe. woudl have been cool to have a old phone with ringdial and have full SIP compatibility.

Thanks for the help anyways

• Having thought about the idea form time to time, how about using the Onion as a IO borad that comunicated via USB to a better unit thats doitn the actual SIP and stuff?
    But how do i get the dialed Numbers over the the host?
    using Serial seams the usefullest.
    I guess the Host will be Intel-NUC to be able to run a "good" OS on it and to have other capabilities as well.
    Ideas to this new way to solve the problem?

Looks like your connection to Onion Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.