Serial port communication using Node.js

• I can not make the serial communication using NodeJS work. Is there any success story about getting the serial comms on Omega using NodeJS?

I tried both serialport and much less popular serialport-js packages, but couldn't get to working condition.

The Omega is connected to Arduino using TX and RX pins, and I know there's no problem with the Arduino end, as the tests using Python are working fine. I just can't get anything working under NodeJS.

• Are you able to import the serialport package into your script?

• No, haven't succeeded.

• I am running into this issue as well - the prebuilt SerialPort Module for MIPS does not exist. And I am still trying to figure out how to get the module to compile....

• Did you try opkg install node-usb?

I tried this one but doesnt seem to get past require('usb'), cant find the files on the filesystem either, npm cant see them and they are not in /usr/bin.

I too would love it if there was an opkg package for npm's serialport, even if its an older version of the same.

• @Steven-de-Salas said in Serial port communication using Node.js:

Did you try opkg install node-usb?

That doesn't seem like it would help, as a USB serial converter isn't a "USB" device from an application perspective, but rather a "serial" one.

• Hi guys, I just thought you'd like to know that I got serialport npm module cross compiled for the Omega2 following instructions here and here.

I will try get a more easily consumable version (maybe another npm package?) but for now feel free to download a working version of serialport@3.0.0 on the following link:

https://github.com/sdesalas/robotics/raw/master/omega2/node-serialport-v3.0.0.tar.gz

You just need to untar and move the node_modules/serialport and node_modules/.bin folders to node_modules in your project or global npm folder.

Even better:

Here is a fork containing the cross-compiled binaries:

https://github.com/sdesalas/node-serialport-omega2

Since its in github you can install via npm:

$ npm install github:sdesalas/node-serialport-omega2

Cherio.
    S

• This post is deleted!