Forgot about this topic for a bit. I did manage to get it working with the combination of the Omega1 tutorial and the new files from WereCatf. I had some problems compiling just the package, but I think that was my mistake.
About Lirc, I quickly abandoned it. It was much to complicated and bulky for what I needed. I ended up modifying some other code I found.
Yeah, I was aware of the tri-state (< >, <M>, <asterisk>) marking in menuconfig. I was careful to select the <*> version. Also, running make following my selections succeeded, and resulted in the set of expected .bin files (in bin/ar71xx/).
I have two clones of the source code. One stock/unmodified and one modified to include gdb (and a few other modules). Comparing the sizes for the onion images from each show the exact same size, leading to my suspicion that I'm not actually changing anything by modifying the build via menuconfig.
@will-burke Have had a play with the code you sent.
It all looks good and (as far as I can tell without having an I2c to SPI bridge myself) works as intented.
Except for getting the Aborted at the end.
I'm not sure why this would be so, but it seems to be due to creating i2cspi in i2c_spi_bridge.c on the stack rather than the heap. I made changes to i2c_spi_bridge.c to allocate i2cspi on the heap (this is the changed file: i2c_spi_bridge.c ). The changes consist of:
Changing the line:
SC18IS602 * i2cspi=new SC18IS602(SC18IS602_ADDRESS_000);
Replacing all instances of i2cspi. to i2cspi->
Ensuring that delete i2cspi; is called before exit.
Now all seems to be running OK.
I have also taken the liberty of making some small changes to the following files which I also attach:
onion-debug.c - the path is not needed in the #include since it is taken care of by the -I used in build_test1
build_test1 - have removed the -L and -l stuff from the link step. You are not actually linking to these libraries since you build the .o files and include them already in the link step.