Burned out relayswitches?



  • Hey all,

    I got my omega2 running with the relay expansion board. I hooked it up to my sunscreen and wrote a small python script that switches the relays and let the sunscreen go up and down. By accident one relay stayed switched on fot about 15 minutes. The electro-motor stops automatically.

    Now both relay switched don work. The do switch (the led goes on), but the effect is none. If I connect the wires by themselves the screen does go up and down. The rest of the omega2 seems to be working fine.

    Is it possible that I burned out the relayboard? It would be good to know, so I know if I have to but a new one or not.

    Thanks!



  • @Division-by-Zero said in Burned out relayswitches?:

    Is it possible that I burned out the relayboard? It would be good to know, so I know if I have to but a new one or not.

    It depends if you used a motor where is in the range of the specifications for the relays. Please post them if you have some specifications of the motor you use.

    There was this discussion already when we got the omega1 with relays. Have a look under the projects issues ... it was about opening a garage door.

    There it explains how to "proceed" if the relay not closes again.



  • Thanks @Luciano-S ! I'll have a look.

    The sunscreen including motor was already installed when I bought this house. So I don't know if I can find any specs on the motor. A colleague of mine told me yesterday I should have looked at the ampere usage, since that's probably high when the motor is starting or unable to continue. Guess I'm better at writing software than electro stuff :-)



  • Hmmm... I looked at some regularely used electromotors for this type of sunscreen. They all seem to be using around 0.5A. So this is well in range of the specs.

    I connected the wires from the outlet directly to the relay expansion board. I measured around 160 - 180 Voltage (AC). This also seems not to be a problem If I'm reading the specs right.

    Or should I put some failsafe in between?



  • @Luciano-S Haven't been able to find the discussion on the garage door and the omega 1 relays. I'll look further, but if you might have a link for me, that would be great!



  • @Division-by-Zero said in Burned out relayswitches?:

    Hmmm... I looked at some regularely used electromotors for this type of sunscreen. They all seem to be using around 0.5A. So this is well in range of the specs.

    I connected the wires from the outlet directly to the relay expansion board. I measured around 160 - 180 Voltage (AC). This also seems not to be a problem If I'm reading the specs right.

    The relays seem to be rated at 60W. 0.5A at 180V would be 90W, or way over the power-rating of the relays -- they may be able to handle it briefly, but 15 minutes that much overspec? Pretty sure you burned them out.



  • @WereCatf Thanks! I understand. I guess I have to find a solution to cope with this...



  • jeeee ... after looking for 15Minutes i found it ...

    http://community.onion.io/topic/784/resolved-relays-sticking/28


  • administrators

    Thanks @Luciano-S for linking that thread, I was just looking for that!

    One of our other community members in that thread also explained that the contact surfaces may be micro-welding when contacting/separating due to high current. He advised to activate/deactivate the relays a couple of times so the contacts would become smoother and less likely to micro-weld: http://community.onion.io/topic/784/resolved-relays-sticking/20. See if that helps and let us know.

    Gabe


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Onion Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.