We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Omega2 Dash now available!

• administrators

Super excited to let everyone know that the Omega2 Dash is now out of beta and available for pre-order on Crowd Supply!

The Omega2 Dash combines a touchscreen with the Omega2 WiFi-enabled Linux computer, making it an an all-in-one solution for making touch-based visual UIs.

Learn more and pre-order at https://www.crowdsupply.com/onion/omega2-dash

Omega2 Dash

• I was lucky enough to join the Beta for this product. It's a great device, the GUI LittleVGL takes a little effort to understand but it's pretty full featured and works well. It's got an Omega2S+ under the hood so if you're familiar with Omega2 it's easy to get started.

Love it!

• i got an email about the product and was wondering why the decision was made to not have the 8GB storage chip?
    probably cost i imagine. i suppose using the sdcard might slow down the screen page refresh if changing screen data? thanks.

• I don't work for Onion but if I did, I'd have as many complaints about the cost as I would have about why there was only features. In the end you just have to make a decision as to what is the best combination of features and price, or you will never release anything. The market then responds and you adjust your design or you offer new models.

As a Beta tester, memory was not my issue, LittleVGL is not perfect but I looked at so many other potential GUI candidates for my specific requirements and in the end I came to the same conclusion as Lazar and Zheng. LittleVGL is a great fit for the Omega2 and if you need more, you can always build a custom board or an expansion board. The underlying technology is solid.

• @crispyoz said in Omega2 Dash now available!:

I don't work for Onion but if I did, I'd have as many complaints about the cost as I would have about why there was only features. In the end you just have to make a decision as to what is the best combination of features and price, or you will never release anything. The market then responds and you adjust your design or you offer new models.

As a Beta tester, memory was not my issue, LittleVGL is not perfect but I looked at so many other potential GUI candidates for my specific requirements and in the end I came to the same conclusion as Lazar and Zheng. LittleVGL is a great fit for the Omega2 and if you need more, you can always build a custom board or an expansion board. The underlying technology is solid.

ok, well it seems that to make the omega2 useful for most applications the /overlay is necessary. so in the dash case sdcard or a usb flash sticking off the side of the board are required. the dash is 20 bucks more than the pro. so the screen probably costs a lot. buying the pro and then a similar sized screen no more than 10 bucks over the dash , probably less than dash also. unless there is something proprietary about the way that screen functions with the board. i'm just trying to understand the thinking here that's all. thanks for your views.

• Are there any graphic libraries available for Python coders?

I mean something that can at least draw a decent dashboard (as the C++ library does) and detect touch (gestures).

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• I found a thread in the lvgl forums where @Lazar-Demin was talking to those guys trying to get a working build of micropython + lvgl for the omega here: lvgl forums. Unfortunately I don't know if he was successful or not and couldn't find a package anywhere for it. I'm not a c coder and would very much be interested if someone knows how to get micropython + lvgl working on the omega 2.

• administrators

@Nate see my response in your original thread! https://community.onion.io/topic/4164/micropython-build-with-lvgl-for-omega2/2

EDIT: Micropython+LVGL is now 100% working! See the LVGL+Micropython section in the Omega2 Dash guide for all of the details on how to install and use lvgl-enabled micropython.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.