We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

5V Connection to Omega

• Hello,

I would like to connect my Omega2+ with an Arduino Pro Micro for my project.
    Without utilizing the docker, my approach is to directly connect the USB data + / - cables to the Omega.

For the Arduino, I require a 5-volt power source.
    I intend to split the USB cable coming out from the Arduino, with the data + / - going into the Omega and the power connecting to my power source.

My concern is whether this setup might fry the pi.. i mean omega, since it operates at 3.3 volts, while I am powering the Arduino with 5 volts.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated!

• administrators

@Kazooie definitely do not directly connect 5V to the omega. See this docs article: https://docs.onion.io/omega2-docs/hardware-prep-no-dock.html

• hi Lazar, thx for the reply.
    i now that i shouldnt connect 5 volt to power the omega.
    i just want to connect the usb data + / - cables to it.

In this thread https://community.onion.io/topic/1087/usb-connection-without-a-dock/44
    they say:
    "Provided you wish to use the Omega as a USB host, provide a stable 5V of sufficient current and connect the grounds together, that should work."
    and
    "In essence, yes. USB uses 5V on VBus, but the differential signaling on the data pins is lower voltage (probably around 3.3v actually) and would normally run right into a USB capable chip."

I would rather not use a logic level converter, but you mean i will destroy the omega then?

• Okay, I measured the USB data positive and negative lines.
    My voltmeter indicated 3.3 volts coming out of the Arduino (on the usb data positive line) when I powered it (Arduino) up with 5 volts.
    So, I connected the usb data lines directly to the Omega without a logic level converter, and it worked like a charm! šŸ˜‰

• administrators

@Kazooie yep, the USB data lines should be good to connect. Just not the 5V power

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.