Thanks for the info. I haven't paid too much attention to it since I'm chasing other fun related to getting Python3 running (etc.) . But, the original "correct" name showed up later (seeing it in my list of wifi access points). It may have been after I restarted the wifi on my computer. Not sure. I will check out the hostname and see what it says.
that may just be a bad console app which you can re-install to make it as before. then again it could be something else but i would start with a fresh install of console. i think you have to uncheck some things in the repo list to get it to download but do a search on console to see if it is already on the unit.
@Ketsayay-Choohirun You are welcome. Probably nothing is wrong with your Omega - probably you have a power problem. Long thin jumper wires with loose connections at the Omega's pins will cause a dip in the power, just as the Omega needs more power (at least .25A at 3.3V) to turn on the Wifi.
You can use your serial connection to follow the boot progress so we can see when in the boot the Omega is halting.
the Omega setup Console page issue - try another browser or another
Connecting via the Expansion dock's USB cable to a serial Console - try another computer to confirm that this hardware and cable connection is working then fix the CP2102 driver issue on your Mac.
I found that reproducable when i got error message for not enough disk space left. ... afterwards i saw such errors...start from zero. Restore factory default and do sysbackup with nee binary... Pain in the a... but thats the only way that worked for me..
If one wants to get to the bottom of it, old and new factory images can be extracted via tricky application of squashfs tools (and maybe dd and whatever compression tool, I forget) and the various startup scripts and programs diffed directly.
Or you can poke around on the running system (or two side by side?) and see what is changed.
Of course checking any changes in the public repo would be worthwhile, but unclear if whatever is causing the issue made it there. My initial sense after looking at it is that the upstream change WereCatf mentioned would not apply to this hardware, but not 100% sure of that. It would not be at all surprising if the issue does turn to to be a similarly tiny detail breaking some part of the automated process.
@WereCatf Thank you! This is the type of info that belongs in a central repository of some sort. If only there were a web technology built around users contributing their knowledge of specific situations for others to use.
Hopefully the OP will not mind if I widen the scope of this thread a little.
I saw a post that referenced "safe mode" and "dd". I have used dd previously with Pi's but I haven't been able to find details of the Omega in Safe Mode.
Now we have SD cards working could someone advise the procedure for cloning our Omega's as I hate the way the upgrades work and I'm confident many users will be wasting lots of time restoring work they have already done.
@Jonathan-Gerard-Joseph when i first got my omegas this happened to me several times . then, rather than just pulling some plug or switching off what i did was enter reboot via terminal or ssh, wait for the omegas led to go off and then stop the power. in about 11 months of use it has not once corrupted the start up/console by using this method. others may say this does not matter, in fact the admins say to just cut power is fine, but in practice it seems to matter.
@WereCatf Apologies, not here to hijack a thread. I figured the EEPROM: Read from [factory ] error is/was an issues and since I got the same thing I thought it would be more helpful to post here, instead of making a new thread. Which was stated in the guidelines to not make a new thread and rather post in another user thread if I'm courteous and in the same situation.
I'd try looking around for other issues, testing the things that I can and make a new thread.
Hi, I've just tried to use a different MB102 and short wires as suggested some days ago: Omega2 seems to work now, so the firmware was not corrupted and I don't need to flash the firmware. The problem was probably all about the power supply. I'll try with capacitor too. Thank you all :)
Sometimes after upgrading from the stock firmware, it may take substantially longer to complete the boot process (I get this a lot when working in the office). But if the Omega's LED goes dark and you didn't cut power to it beforehand, it should be safe to power cycle in the case where it doesn't reboot.
If you don't mind I'll mark this topic as [Resolved] so others may be able to find this in the future. :)