We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Octoprint (3D print server) on Omega2+

• @Jason-Allred I did forget to add the opkg install python-dev part. I'll run through everything else I did on a clean system to figure out what else I missed. I will point out that netifaces is where the hangup was. Whatever I am missing here got it to install.

• @Jason-Allred Try running pip install --upgrade setuptools then netifaces should work.

• @Jeff-Karney Also having troubles with netifaces installing (for Octoprint 1.3.1), all versions 0.10.X wont install (thought i would try it out), followed all the steps mentioned in this post. What firmware are you using on the omega 2+?

Im currently running b160. If your interested the output from pip is http://pastebin.com/pCyhgxpP it looks like python cant find the compiler as its missing the cache_cc directory. Did you set any environment variables to point to the GCC compiler?

• Is it ok if I power my omega2+ via the USB A port? In other words, it's getting its power form the 3D printer's USB connection. It's working just fine, I'm just wondering if I am setting myself up for problems later on. It certainly makes for a cleaner install.
    I originally had it powered via the microUSB from my laptop but then I went to power the omega2+ from a USB power adapter plugged into the power bar. I noticed that when I unplugged the microUSB power cable, it stayed on.

My printer is the Kodama Trinus3D which is running a proprietary variant of Marlin (I think).

• administrators

@Jason-Taylor: It seems you have a non-standard USB port on your 3D printer. Usually an USB client port does not feed back power to the host. Assuming your 3d printer can provide enough current, you can totally run you Omega2 off the printer power without an extra power supply.

• @Jeff-Karney Like @Ben-Murphy from a month ago, I'm having issues installing OctoPrint 1.3.1 - first when doing the pip install --upgrade setuptools, and then when when running pip install netifaces. I've just updated to b160, on an Omega2+. Any ideas as to what's going wrong?

• @Jason-Taylor I have finally soldered up an adapter board so I can use my Omega2+ as a OctoPrint server, and since the Omega2+ consumes around 180-250ma, and the Kodama Trinus is a bit naught and backfeeds down the USB line (have they not heard of a diode?), I decided to have it power from the Trinus's USB, since I was connecting to it to control the printer. Seems to be coping just fine! Now I just have to work out how to upgrade OctoPrint, as I'm current stuck with the v1.0.0 as the alternate instructions for 1.3.1 didn't work for me.

• Hi,
    I also have the problem with netifaces installing OctoPrint 1.3.1or OctoPrint 1.3.2.
    There's a solution?

• This post is deleted!

• See if this fixes the compile problem.
    ln -s /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/ccache_cc

• This is amazing!! Can't wait to try it out!

• @Alan-Brand Well, I ran that command, but I'm not sure yet. I was initally getting out of memory errors, so I added a 256MB swap file, and then kept going, and now I'm getting a "IOError: [Errno 28] No space left on device"??? Hello... there's only 13.3G of free space on the micoSD? 😮 🔫

Edit: Monkey behind the keyboard then realises that he had stupidly and willfully skipped instructions from earlier, and said error message was a result of not enough space in /tmp. Error message could have pointed that out though! 😮

Later Edit: I can now confirm that after a) adding some swap memory b) following the instructions properly and possibly c) doing the ln -s /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/ccache_cc suggested by @Alan-Brand that I have OctoPrint 1.3.1 installed and running. I see 1.3.2 is now out and about, but I haven't tried it out just yet. 😉

Even Later Edit: Ok, decided to download and roll out OctoPrint 1.3.2 since I'm fiddling around with stuff. Configured without a hickup, and is now running happily. Instead of the root user patch, you are better off using the bypass option that is present now in OctoPrint... so instead of adding octoprint & to /etc/rc.local you want to add octoprint serve --iknowwhatimdoing & The same would apply to 1.3.1, and as far back as whenever that option was introduced.

root@OctoPrint:~/OctoPrint-1.3.1# pip install -r requirements.txt
    Processing /root/OctoPrint-1.3.1
    Requirement already satisfied: flask<0.11,>=0.9 in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
    Collecting Jinja2<2.9,>=2.8 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached Jinja2-2.8.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl
    Requirement already satisfied: werkzeug<0.9,>=0.8.3 in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
    Collecting tornado==4.0.2 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached tornado-4.0.2.tar.gz
    Requirement already satisfied: sockjs-tornado<1.1,>=1.0.2 in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-requirements.txt (line 10))
    Requirement already satisfied: PyYAML<3.11,>=3.10 in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
    Requirement already satisfied: Flask-Login<0.3,>=0.2.2 in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
    Requirement already satisfied: Flask-Principal<0.4,>=0.3.5 in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
    Collecting Flask-Babel<0.10,>=0.9 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached Flask-Babel-0.9.tar.gz
    Collecting Flask-Assets<0.11,>=0.10 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached Flask-Assets-0.10.tar.gz
    Collecting markdown<2.7,>=2.6.4 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached Markdown-2.6.8.tar.gz
    Collecting pyserial<2.8,>=2.7 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached pyserial-2.7.tar.gz
    Requirement already satisfied: netaddr<0.8,>=0.7.17 in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
    Collecting watchdog<0.9,>=0.8.3 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached watchdog-0.8.3.tar.gz
    Collecting sarge<0.2,>=0.1.4 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached sarge-0.1.4.tar.gz
    Collecting netifaces<0.11,>=0.10 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached netifaces-0.10.5.tar.gz
    Collecting pylru<1.1,>=1.0.9 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached pylru-1.0.9.tar.gz
    Collecting rsa<3.3,>=3.2 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached rsa-3.2.3-py2.py3-none-any.whl
    Collecting pkginfo<1.3,>=1.2.1 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached pkginfo-1.2.1.tar.gz
    Collecting requests<2.8,>=2.7 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached requests-2.7.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
    Collecting semantic_version<2.5,>=2.4.2 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached semantic_version-2.4.2.tar.gz
    Collecting psutil<3.3,>=3.2.1 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached psutil-3.2.2.tar.gz
    Collecting Click<6.3,>=6.2 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached click-6.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl
    Collecting awesome-slugify<1.7,>=1.6.5 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached awesome-slugify-1.6.5.tar.gz
    Collecting feedparser<5.3,>=5.2.1 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached feedparser-5.2.1.zip
    Collecting chainmap<1.1,>=1.0.2 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached chainmap-1.0.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl
    Collecting future<0.16,>=0.15 (from OctoPrint==1.3.1->-r requirements.txt (line 10))
      Using cached future-0.15.2.tar.gz
    Exception:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 215, in main
        status = self.run(options, args)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/commands/install.py", line 324, in run
        requirement_set.prepare_files(finder)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 380, in prepare_files
        ignore_dependencies=self.ignore_dependencies))
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 620, in _prepare_file
        session=self.session, hashes=hashes)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/download.py", line 821, in unpack_url
        hashes=hashes
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/download.py", line 663, in unpack_http_url
        unpack_file(from_path, location, content_type, link)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/utils/__init__.py", line 605, in unpack_file
        untar_file(filename, location)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/utils/__init__.py", line 578, in untar_file
        shutil.copyfileobj(fp, destfp)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/shutil.py", line 52, in copyfileobj
    IOError: [Errno 28] No space left on device
    root@OctoPrint:~/OctoPrint-1.3.1# free
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:        125748      35696      90052       7392        660      15984
    -/+ buffers/cache:      19052     106696
    Swap:       262140      15060     247080
    root@OctoPrint:~/OctoPrint-1.3.1# df -h
    Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root                 5.5M      5.5M         0 100% /rom
    tmpfs                    61.4M     21.1M     40.3M  34% /tmp
    /dev/mmcblk0p1           14.5G    510.7M     13.3G   4% /overlay
    overlayfs:/overlay       14.5G    510.7M     13.3G   4% /
    tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev

• I gave up using o2+ for octoprint.
    A person at a local hackerspace ported octoprint to another board he is testing which has a mega and a chip running some sort of lede. His github is here

https://github.com/robinjanssens/OctoPrint-for-MiCaBoard

Maybe there is something you guys can also use for the O2+, I am going to see if I can get one of these boards and make my life easier.

• I am able to run 1.3.4.

mount -o remount,size=200M /tmp ==> To increase /tmp
    ln -s /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/ccache_cc ==> to install
    sed -i 's/Häußge/H./g' /root/OctoPrint-1.3.4/src/octoprint/util/comm.py
    sed -i 's/exit("You should not run OctoPrint as root!")/pass/g' /root/OctoPrint-1.3.4/src/octoprint/server/init.py

Also, swap I did it in USB. Creating a swap file in SD card (ext4 format) was not working for me.

• I seem to be having a memory issue on the "pip install -r requirements.txt" step.
    https://pastebin.com/xS4i0a2C
    ANy ideas how to combat this?

• Got 1.3.5 to run, together with Cura.

There are quite some hacks, but hope this is useful for you. Start from the comment of Jeff Karney (11 Mar 2017) - and do create the swap file of 512MB !

Continue Octoprint Installation

Replace step 3 with the following steps...

cd /root
    wget https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/archive/1.3.5.zip
    unzip 1.3.5.zip

Make sure everything can compile

Install all dependencies

cd OctoPrint-1.3.5
    pip install -r requirements.txt

Fix unicode we can't deal with in the code

sed -i 's/Häußge/H\./g' /root/OctoPrint-1.3.5/src/octoprint/util/comm.py
    sed -i 's/Häußge/H\./g' /root/OctoPrint-1.3.5/src/octoprint/plugins/virtual_printer/virtual.py

Start octoprint from command line (see article on how to auto-restart it on boot)

octoprint serve --iknowwhatimdoing &

Install Cura

Install prerequisites

opkg install make

Download Cura legacy

cd /root
    wget https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/archive/legacy.zip
    unzip legacy.zip

Here's a hack I found-out I needed since make failed (forgot how)

echo "#undef LIBC_HAS_BACKTRACE_FUNC" > /usr/include/execinfo.h

Then we can build Cura (it's long on the Omega2+)

cd CuraEngine-legacy
    make

For some reason ld can't find the static libraries for c and stdc++ and the build fails. I couldn't fix this directly, but what I did was to remove the --static from the last build line and this works.

so if your build fails with:
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lstdc++ /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    then run this (or remove the --static from the last output of make):

g++ build/bridge.o build/comb.o build/gcodeExport.o build/infill.o build/inset.o build
    /layerPart.o build/main.o build/optimizedModel.o build/pathOrderOptimizer.o build/polygonOptimizer.o build/raft.o build/set
    tings.o build/skin.o build/skirt.o build/slicer.o build/support.o build/timeEstimate.o build/modelFile/modelFile.o build/ut
    ils/gettime.o build/utils/logoutput.o build/utils/socket.o -o build/CuraEngine -Lbuild/ -lclipper -flto

Give Octoprint the path to Cura

Run the Octoprint wizard: open http://omega-xxxx.local:5000 where xxxx are the 4 last digits of your Omega2+ mac address
    In the Cura Configuration step input the Octoprint setup Wizard CuraEngine:
    Path to CuraEngine: /root/CuraEngine-legacy/build/CuraEngine

• @Theodore-Marescaux and @Jeff-Karney - thanks so much for the updated script. I've got Octoprint 1.3.5 working on my Omega 2+.

However, I can't seem to connect to the 3d Printer. I've tried all the manual settings and baud rates but I get a 'Timeout while trying to connect to the printer' message.

----- Terminal Log -----
    Connecting to: /dev/ttyACM0
    Changing monitoring state from 'Offline' to 'Opening serial port'
    Connected to: Serial<id=0x232abc0, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
    Changing monitoring state from 'Opening serial port' to 'Connecting'
    Send: N0 M110 N0*125
    Recv: ?
    There was a timeout while trying to connect to the printer
    Changing monitoring state from 'Connecting' to 'Offline'
    Connection closed, closing down monitor

----- Close Terminal Log -----

Any ideas?

• I know the last reply to this topic is from nearly a year ago, but just wanted to report that I just installed OctoPrint v1.3.9 on my Omega2+ with the latest 0.2.1 (b199) firmware (had 0.2 or the last of the 0.1 line and OctoPrint 1.0.0 when I used it last), and it seems to be working fine with my Kodama Trinus printer just fine... Thanks to all the posters who suggested the swap memory, python-dev/gcc and octoprint serve --iknowwhatimdoing workarounds / updates to the instructions... after some fumbling around I was able get it all working! 😉

• First thank all contributor

1.Change the package repository

vi /etc/opkg/distfeeds.conf

uncomment below line

src/gz reboot_base
    src/gz reboot_packages

2.Setting SD Card As a expanding storage ( I use 2GB mini SDcard , Because out of space error)

opkg update
    opkg install fdisk e2fsprogs block-mount

after install

umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p1
    umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
    mkdir /mnt/SD
    mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/SD

(will get some error like : can’t umount just ignore it)

tar -C /overlay -cvf - . | tar -C /mnt/SD/ -xf - 
    umount /mnt/SD

block detect > /etc/config/fstab

Auto Load on system boot

vi /etc/config/fstab

change option target '/mnt/mmcblk0p1' to option target '/overlay'
    and option enabled '0' to option enabled ‘1'

reboot

after reboot you can verify if you /overlay is mounted properly by running df

mkdir /overlay/tmp
    rm -rf /overlay/tmp/*
    cp -a /tmp/* /overlay/tmp/
    umount /tmp
    [ $? -ne 0 ] && {
    umount -l /tmp
    }
    mount /overlay/tmp/ /tmp

after reboot expand /tmp folder on the Omega , will get some error like : can’t umount just ignore it)

3.Install C++ Lib & Python

opkg update
    opkg install gcc make 
    opkg install python python-pip unzip
    opkg install python-dev --force-overwrite

4.Setting Swap memory (Because When install will get out of memory errors)

https://docs.onion.io/omega2-docs/extending-omega-memory.html

First insert your usbdisk

opkg install swap-utils

after install create swapfile on usb

dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/mounts/USB-A1/swap.page bs=1M count=512

Need Waiting a while

mkswap /tmp/mounts/USB-A1/swap.page
    swapon /tmp/mounts/USB-A1/swap.page

Use free to check if success get swap

5. Install Octoprint

pip install --upgrade setuptools

show some information to upgrade pip

pip install --upgrade pip
    pip install --upgrade setuptools

Download octoprint & install
    You can get all version here
    https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/releases

Prepare Install

cd /root
    wget https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/archive/1.3.9.zip
    unzip 1.3.9.zip
    cd OctoPrint-1.3.9

Start Install

pip install -r requirements.txt

Some Unicode Fixed / User Role Fixed

sed -i 's/Häußge/H\./g' /root/OctoPrint-1.3.9/src/octoprint/util/comm.py
    sed -i 's/Häußge/H\./g' /root/OctoPrint-1.3.9/src/octoprint/util/virtual.py
    sed -i 's/Häußge/H\./g' /root/OctoPrint-1.3.9/src/octoprint/plugins/virtual_printer/virtual.py

sed -i 's/exit("You should not run OctoPrint as root!")/pass/g' /root/OctoPrint-1.3.9/src/octoprint/server/__init__.py

If has no error.
    Congratulation !
    Almost Success!

6.Server Start

octoprint serve --iknowwhatimdoing &

Need Waiting Server to Start / console will show some infor & some warning information / Just Ignore
    Use browser to connect
    http://omega-[your id].local:5000

If connect Ok.
    Now You can remove usb disk and connect to 3d printer.
    Success!!

Print the case
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2068124!

Sometimes Factory Reset Clean All to Install Will Help , if you get some stange error

https://docs.onion.io/omega2-docs/factory-reset.html

THANKS ALL

• This post is deleted!

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.