We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Card Reader Using Onion

• Hello all,

I am working on a project to have the Onion Omega unlock a door when a card is swiped. I have written a python script that changes the relays when a correct card number is inputted, but now the problem is to get the card reader to send the data to the script. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get this to work? The card reader is a MSR90, and from what I can find online it acts like a keyboard. So how do I get the data being sent out of the reader into the script running on the Onion?

The only ideas I've had so far would be to have the card reader hooked up to a pi, and then have the pi transmit the data to the onion, but ideally I'd like for it all to happen on the onion.

• If you have electronic knowledge, the simpler approach would be to bring the RS-232 voltage levels to 3.3V and use the Omega2 serial pins. If not, looks like the card reader device provides a USB interface as well. So, you would need to use some Linux USB api, perhaps just some read access to the /dev device, but I'm not familiar with the specifics yet (no Omega2 for me yet).

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.