We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Access Point questions

• Hi All,

When Omega is in AP mode:

1. What is the max number of clients that can connect to the Omega?
    2. What happen if the router that the Omega is the AP to it, is down? is the clients connected to the Omega can still talk with each other? specifically broadcasting UDP messages.

Tn'x
    Meir Lebel

• In the default mode, as far as I noticed, the Onion does NAT from the AP to the normal wifi.
    This means that clients connected to the Onion get a 192.168.3.something address (as far as I remember) and not, for example, a 192.168.1.whatever address for your normal "main" wifi.

In this mode if the main wifi goes down your clients connected to the onion will still be given IP addresses and will still be able to communicate between eachother. They will just lose access to the internet and likely to DNS.

It is always possible to reconfigure this AP mode though so it works differently. But as far as I remember and noticed the default mode works as above.

I'm unsure on the maximum number of clients information.

• @None-None said in Access Point questions:

I'm unsure on the maximum number of clients information.

As you mentioned the IPv4 default network range (C Network) of the onion, you could use max 253 clients (192.168.3.1-192.168.3.254). 192.168.3.1 seams to be the omega and 192.168.3.255 is used for broadcasting.
    This should be so be default. If not with a few clicks you could increase in the config file the DHCP range.

So the whole thing about max. client is not really depending on the onion... more depends of your network config ...

• @Luciano-S. said in Access Point questions:

So the whole thing about max. client is not really depending on the onion... more depends of your network config ...

I don't know WiFi up to the little details, but I have serious doubt about the above quote. If Internet traffic goes through the Omega(2) for the outside world, there will be a point when it won't be able to handle a tough load, and this determines the number of WiFi users that may use the Internet simultaneously, not the number of available IP addresses in a local area network sub-class.

• @fossette you should start to read more carefully the requests.

The omega acts as access point only! And manages the ip's ... the default router will be the internet device ... the traffic goes true this device in to the internet. While the devices will be without internet they just can talk in the sub-net with each other ... direct without routing the ip traffic thru the onion.

• Here is how I understand how is configured the Network Topology when the Omega(2) is used as a WiFi Access Point. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's a graph I picked up on the net, and commented using an example of possible IP addresses.

Omega Access Point Example
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/d4a65a514745969

As can be seen, Internet can go back and forth through the Omega(2) to support the WiFi sub-network. If the Internet traffic requested by the WiFi sub-network is too much to bare, the Omega(2) will clearly become the bottleneck, thus limiting the number of WiFi users that can benefit from an acceptable Internet speed.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.