We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Powering the Omega 2 for the first time without an adapter?

• Hello. I just got my Omega 2+ and of course I want to fire it up right away. I didn't get any adapters tho. Based on the pinout presented on the indiegogo campaign, I wired up the VIN pin to a 3.3V power source (An arduino uno's 3.3V pin because I don't have anything else on hand) and GND to GND of the source. Turned everything on. Didn't get any LED lights from the omega. The supplied voltage was 3.20V (measured while everything is connected and powered). No short circuits. Some of the GPIO were at 3.2V, some of them were grounded. But nothing powered on. No new wireless network was created by the omega. And I'm wondering, why is that?

• Did you check how much current was being supplied? From my quick research, it looks like the arduino pins only supply around 10 mA @3V, while the Omega boards need about 10 times that.

• @Alex-Brooke
    I was using the arduino's 3.3v supply (not a GPIO) and it should've been enough.

I switched to a DC - 3.3v supply at 0.7A and got the omega 2 working.

Seems good for now. I set it up, connected to my wifi network and updated the software.
    Only problem I have is that I can't seem to do an SSH session with it. The address of "omega-XXXX.local" (where XXXX is the ID found on it's access point) does not respond ( can't connect to it over putty).

On cloud.onion.io, my device shows up as online. However, when I try to connect to it from device explorer, I get " there was a problem accessing your device ". I don't have a USB-Serial adapter that is for 3.3V TTL logic levels.

• @Zvezdin-Besarabov, when you not see the onion specific name, on your system (OS) zero-config or Bonjour is not working.

But you should be able to access via default ip 192.168.3.1.

• @Luciano-S. I can access it from that address when I'm connected to its hotspot. But I want to connect my computer to my home wifi and access the omega 2+ from there. I've set it up and it connects to the home wifi. I don't know the local IP of the omega and I can't seem to be able to find it.

• @Zvezdin-Besarabov install a port scanner and look for the omega ... what os do you use? you have to look in the range of your home network ... and yes you should be able to connect over AP and then connect your home wifi ...

To understand right, you don' t see it on the home wifi or just in the terminal from your os? I'am not sure if we talk from the same thing.

p.s.
    thinking about what you wrote ... connect with ap mode and switch on WIFI to connect yo your home network ... then you open the terminal with the address i mentioned above ... should be the one of the AP ... and make a ifconfig in the terminal of the omega ... so you can see the ip's the omega has connectet to the nw-adapters ... there will be more as one ... choos the one your computer is in it ... you can see in terminal (windows ipconfig/all & Linux/OSX ifconfig)

When you made it just switch off the AP again ... and good idea would be to change the default pw to something more save ... Don't make an "Emmenthaler-Chees" with your network.

• Not finding an IP device? Here's what I do... Always assign a fixed IP address to all IP devices within your home network. The default Internet configuration for IP devices is to request an IP address from the DHCP server of your home network (usually, your Internet router). Usually, these IP devices grab the first IP address in the DHCP IP range. Look there first!

For example :
    Home network IP addresses : 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.255
    Network mask : 255.255.255.0
    Network gateway : 192.168.1.0
    DHCP IP Range : 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.250

Test for your IP device :
    ping 192.168.1.100
    if not, then :
    ping 192.168.1.101
    and so on.

Internet routers, 192.168.1.0 here in this example, can be configured from their web interface (using firefox for example). Check your Internet router manual for all available features. This is very important for hobbyists. Your Internet router could even list all connected IP devices, including the one you are looking for. šŸ˜‰

If everything fails, and there's no way to configure the IP device to use a fixed IP address (like my Roku device), there's always the possibility to 'tell' your Internet router to always provide the same IP address to the same IP device. For that to work, your Internet router must be able to list the MAC address of connected IP devices, most routers do. Then, you go in the DHCP configuration and tell it to always provide an IP address of your choosing to the specified MAC address.

A bit of advice, do not use an IP address within the DHCP range because this will bite you when you least expect it. So in my example 192.168.1.90 would be an excellent choice for a fixed IP address, and fairly easy to remember and to type.

Good luck! šŸ™‚

• The solutions here all seem more complex than they need to be. All the good routers these days offer a listing of devices by MAC address. Find the MAC address on the box of your Omega2 and then find its IP in your router's web admin.

On Tomato: Status > Device List
    On OpenWRT: Status > Overview > Scroll down to DHCP Leases

Should be in a similar place for other routers/firmwares.

• Before doing anything, make sure that your base is covered. New docs here:
    https://docs.onion.io/omega2-docs/get-started.html
    Then, you can configure/hunt for a new IP address location to suit your needs, whatever the method that you prefer. The one that works for you is the right one.

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.