We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Onion boot time improvement

• Hello everyone some one know if there is a way to reduce the boot time to less than 10 seconds?
    I tried building the image from source but the resulting boot time was 14-15 seconds (the original one was about 18 seconds)
    For our project we need onion to boots and be ready in less than 10 seconds after the power supply is given.
    Thank you for the help!
    Marco

• Have you thought about prioritizing what needs to be immediately loaded vs deferred?

Ask yourself: what do you absolutely need to boot and when, and what can wait for later?

If you provide a little more information about what your end project is trying to do, and then list the minimums you think you need, then someone may be able to help you whittle down and come up with a boot approach šŸ™‚

btw: http://elinux.org/Boot_Time

• Thank you for your answer!you are right!
    We need to have the uart working , a program compiled in c working ,and wifi and dhcp server ...for now i think all we need is this.
    We want to develop a datalogger which will read the data from an external micro and display it over a webserver over wifi.
    My compiled openwrt-ar71xx-generic-onion-omega-squashfs-factory.bin is 16.3 Mb is it normal? i remove all what i can...but the Mbytes are the same of the last image from the site ...
    Is the .bin format a standard size ? i have different other files in the bin folder inside the compiled image..
    /home/marco/opewrt/onion/from_source/openwrt/bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-onion-omega-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
    /home/marco/opewrt/onion/from_source/openwrt/bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-root.squashfs
    /home/marco/opewrt/onion/from_source/openwrt/bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-root.squashfs-64k
    /home/marco/opewrt/onion/from_source/openwrt/bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-gzip.bin
    /home/marco/opewrt/onion/from_source/openwrt/bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-uImage-lzma.bin
    /home/marco/opewrt/onion/from_source/openwrt/bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.bin
    /home/marco/opewrt/onion/from_source/openwrt/bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.gz
    /home/marco/opewrt/onion/from_source/openwrt/bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.lzma

the one i tried is /home/marco/opewrt/onion/from_source/openwrt/bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-onion-omega-squashfs-factory.bin that is 16,3 Mb

is /home/marco/opewrt/onion/from_source/openwrt/bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-onion-omega-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin that is 1,9 Mb usable as well?

Thank you.

• @marco-rigoni NO! sysupgrade is not what you want.

Try the uimage šŸ˜‰ u = micro, iirc, and should provide you bare minimum booting times off the bat (though probably without all the stuff you need listed above).

I think, though, uart is a deferred, with wifi + webserver as an immediate. That would mean that, if you set up your webserver correctly, you can get to minimum boot while you are awaiting the dhcp software and uart to boot. If you make a wifi connection as an initial setup (read: the user is expected to wait for a while on the first initial setup of internet access, with immediate boots thereafter), then your wifi and server can get online fairly quickly I would think. Unless of course, I'm misunderstanding your application.

The reason this approach would work is that minimum response time for a webserver is the key. People/users expect the loading of data to take a while. And, the 'retrieving data log' portion can be a pinwheel to buy you time to load the first time, right? So there is actually a lot you can do to get a product that have nothing to do with overall boot times. . .

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.