I may be wrong, but I think Kickstarter type companies should change their policies. The prototype product should be 90% fully functional. The public funding should be for final testing, and all the manufacturing and supply chain details. After a predetermined period and fully funded, and 100% completed, the product should be ready to sell to the general public and hopefully will be a success. I know in the real world, it doesn't quite work that way. Just my opinion.
Best posts made by Don DeGregori
RE: Wifi connection problem with Omega2
RE: I've had it!
Didn't know there is a Pi Zero W till now! Thanks!
I ordered the the Raspberry Pi Zero W yesterday to play around with while I wait for Omega2 to get it's many loose ends tied together. Adafruit had 57, now they have none! More on the way, I'm sure!
RE: Documentation is incomplete
Also, I think we all would greatly benefit from an ongoing FAQ section. The answers have to be validated and clear. And they should be from the designers of the product. I have spent countless hours trying to figure things out and when I think I have the answer, a new problem arises. Or the figured out problem goes bad again. And I don't know why. Like being disconnected from WiFi for no reason. I finally got it working, but afraid to touch anything!
The documentation is very hard to follow. It makes you skip around and then you can't find where you were. It's very poor to show 1 page of a topic, which doesn't continue. One has to jump back to choose the sub-topic. About the not having to login all the time. Why can't it just be remembered in the OS? Another example, the section doing a command line: oupgrade. The word is in the middle of the sentence in a very light font. You can hardly see it. It should on a line by itself, bold and red. I see many more examples like this. Clear and clean documentation so important!
The first time user, very important person, should be shown step by step how to get the Omega2+ up and working in the most basic way. When appropriate, the steps should be illustrated and explained. For a while, I didn't know if my laptop was actually a wireless client of the Omega. And didn't know the laptop has to be a LAN client of my router. This setup is not usual for a new comer.
This is where a diagram of the connections should be shown.
To Onion Management: You do know that hundreds of UNPAID Quality Control Experts are working for you. Without us..... No Omega2+ You need to live up our bargain more.
WE WANT YOU TO SUCCEED !
I Might Be Back .....
When Omega3 comes out ! So far Omega2 + gives me NO joy! It did kind of work. But now no Wi-Fi and won't stop booting. Can't even talk to it in Serial ! And Orion IO Help Desk never responds to any new questions, except with a "Being Processed". Days and days go by and I see nothing. I need a replacement for the Omega2 +. It doesn't work any more. All I did was put a wrong entry into the AP configuration, and then it stopped working. I tried everything suggested.
Things that don't work for me
I have an Omega2 +. I may be doing something wrong.
- Reset button doesn't start reboot.
- Installed Terminal from Console. Did work, now does not start. When it did, can't copy/paste from somewhere else
- Using PuTTY to start Terminal, but doesn't remember up/down arrow keys
- Pin 6 is not GPIO till you change it. An Instructables tutorial shows using pin 6. Tried to blink LED, always HIGH. Pin 0, 1, 11 are OK out of the box.
- This Community site needs improvement. Compose section is way at bottom and doesn't scroll up as you type. One has to Enter over and over to see your typing.
- I put blinking LED file name in /etc/rc.local to start on boot. It works, but orange LED on Omega never stops blinking, like the boot is still going on.
- Sometimes Login and Password are remembered, sometimes not.
- Sometimes wireless Omega-ABCD gets disconnected, sometimes not. Connect Automatically doesn't work.
- Why is boot so slow. Embarrassing when trying to demo Omega to someone.
- Leave Factory Restore disabled for a while till real problems are fixed.
- Factory Update is still spinning. No info. Was working.
- Take a Tour doesn't work anymore. When is it supposed to work?
I've had it!
Just about any thing I do that may be incorrect will eventually force me to do factory reset and start all over again. I'm learning that some things can shorten the "back to life time", but still don't know the relationship between this (or/and) that and the causes of the problem/problems. I'm purposely being vague. I will now stand down from the Omega project for a while, maybe 3 months. Best of luck to all who are fixing this or that. I'm not trying to funny. It ain't easy. One thing to the Administrators: Put an Index in the Documentation. It now needs it. Bye from Don.