We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Omega2+ fails to connect to wifi

• Same issue here (all those “solutions” recommended on forum – don’t work), cannot resolve for months.

What pisses me of the most - all those "exciting news!" emails from Omega team about some new features and how cool omega 2 is. Sounds like a f%$%ing mockery, considering that basic functionality does not work (or does not work reliably).
    And what Omega team done? Correct answer – nothing, pretending the problem with WiFi does not exist.

Don't buy Omega Onion, don't support them, may be losing money will make them do something, as civilized approach does not work.

• As this seems to still be an ongoing issue and I've had my unit for some crazy amount of time, after testing the latest firmware every month or so I seem to have finally cracked this issue.

No promises that this will work for everybody but it certainly worked for me.

I have my MT set to some pretty vanilla standards

0_1499251745653_Screenshot from 2017-07-05 20-48-35.png

I have static channels configured

0_1499252068013_Screenshot from 2017-07-05 20-54-06.png

But again, all really normal bizwack.

The only change required on my onion in order to connect cleanly was the following

root@Omega-2EB7:/etc/config# cat wireless 

config wifi-device 'ra0'
            option type 'ralink'
    #        option mode '9' # This doesn't seem to work on an MT
            option mode 'sta' # This works on an MT
            option channel '6' # This shouldn't be required to be a number and can be left as 'auto'
            option txpower '100'
            option ht '20+40' # Meh, 20, this works but so does 20 or 40 from memory
            option country 'AU' # Whatever your country is
            option disabled '0'

I'm not going to say that this is the magic bullet but it certainly got me up and running.

Caveat I still don't have network access other than ICMP. I think this is a firewall issue on the unit itself but I can't work it out yet. This is just my first step so sharing in case it corrects the problem for anybody else.

Hope that helps somebody

• @Scott-Horsley thanks! I wasn't able to reproduce your config - for me, the change from option mode '9' to 'sta' doesn't change a thing. I still get "wlan1: disconnected, unicast key exchange timeout" in router logs.

However, I made some observations that might help you move forward:

• with option mode 'sta' and security profile on Mikrotik set to default (open - no password), my Onion2 connects to wifi (!)
    • I also observed only ICMP traffic passing through
    • it seems to be a local firewall issue, as Mikrotik sniffing shows no outbound attempts
    • you can disable Onion firewall by /etc/init.d/firewall stop, but it doesn't change a thing - the only traffic that the router receives is ICMP and ARP, but not TCP

Michal

• @Scott-Horsley further observations:

• firewall is controlled by fw3 which in turn controls iptables
    • flushing iptables (iptables -F) does not solve the problem
    • a device connected to the Omega can connect to the Internet but DNS won't work (seems to be an issue with Omega's NAT config)
    • if you instruct iptables to log outbound traffic (iptables -t filter -A OUTPUT -o apcli0 -j LOG), then dmesg actually shows those missing packets that don't arrive to the router

Seems like there is a second firewall layer after iptables are applied.

Michal

• @Michal-Rok thanks for the feedback, sorry it got you no further either.

Yep, I disabled the firewall entirely, even as far as removing the rc startup link and rebooting with no change. iptables -L shows nothing at all at this point (what you'd expect really). I tried forcing the wlan interface into the bridge (br-wlan) also with no change at all. I disabled dnsmasq and forced the resolution to Google (8.8.8.8) with, of course, no change either (which you'd expect as nothing appears to arrive on the router itself).

Was there a reference anywhere to what the "option mode '9'" (or 'sta') does and any other options relating to this area of the config? I searched on anything WRT but didn't show anything about the ralink unit so was rather roadblocked at that point.

One other point that I noted was that I needed to ensure my channel was low in order to work at all, almost like the AU flag wasn't being used. Not a huge deal as a quick scan on the MT suggested 6 was the best channel for me but changing from AU to US and/or back didn't seem to change anything at all.

As far as running with no security, I might try that trick and see if I can get any ideas of what is happening.

I originally tried connecting to my mobiles hotspot to get running and that worked, then modified the config to suite the MT, hoping that the initial config was doing something more when it was first coming online but as mentioned by a few others, that made no difference either.

Frustration to say the least.

Has anybody had any luck with a USB wifi adaptor and an MT on these units?

I love my MT(s, I have a few running in the house) so a decision to swap them isn't going to fly and I'd rather just accept that the Omega isn't for me than contemplate the alternative.

• @Scott-Horsley I was suspecting that some default firewall kicks in when Omega's software sees an open, unencrypted wifi network. But that assumes you're running an open network too, but I'm reading this wasn't the case.

I wasn't able to reproduce your observations regarding encryption - for me, Omega never connects to a WPA2PSK/AES network.

• @Michal-Rok Seems rather inconsistent if that is the case, I originally couldn't connect with anything of course, this configuration I can reproduce directly after a firstboot -y, sync.... which means it's certainly working.

My SSID and Passphrase are really simple words only, ECLIPSE being the SSID (as referenced, and strangely, I blanked out in the SSID box), but the password may as well be abc123 with how simple it is.

I'm dumping my MT config for the information it may or may not share with regards to this. I'm running RouterOS v6.39.2 (stable) at this time.

[scott@ap2] > /interface wireless print where name=wlan-ECLIPSE                     
    Flags: X - disabled, R - running 
     0  R name="wlan-ECLIPSE" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 mac-address=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX arp=enabled interface-type=Atheros AR9300 mode=ap-bridge ssid="ECLIPSE" frequency=channel-6 band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20mhz 
          scan-list=default wireless-protocol=any vlan-mode=no-tag vlan-id=1 wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none wds-ignore-ssid=no bridge-mode=enabled default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes 
          default-ap-tx-limit=0 default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=no security-profile=profile-ECLIPSE compression=no 
    [scott@ap2] > /interface wireless security-profiles print where name=profile-ECLIPSE
    Flags: * - default 
     0   name="profile-ECLIPSE" mode=dynamic-keys authentication-types=wpa2-psk unicast-ciphers=aes-ccm group-ciphers=aes-ccm wpa-pre-shared-key="xxxxx" wpa2-pre-shared-key="xxxxx" 
         supplicant-identity="MikroTik" eap-methods=passthrough tls-mode=no-certificates tls-certificate=none mschapv2-username="" mschapv2-password="" static-algo-0=none static-key-0="" static-algo-1=none 
         static-key-1="" static-algo-2=none static-key-2="" static-algo-3=none static-key-3="" static-transmit-key=key-0 static-sta-private-algo=none static-sta-private-key="" radius-mac-authentication=no 
         radius-mac-accounting=yes radius-eap-accounting=no interim-update=0s radius-mac-format=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX radius-mac-mode=as-username radius-mac-caching=disabled group-key-update=5m 
         management-protection=disabled management-protection-key="" 

• @Scott-Horsley can you please post results of /interface wireless export here? It will show just the non-default parameters and might make it easier to reproduce.

• @Scott-Horsley well done! Setting
    option mode 'sta'
    worked for me!

• @Alex-Thow are you also experiencing an issue with firewall or do you have full connectivity?

• @Michal-Rok full connectivity. Though on reboot it doesn't connect to wifi...in etc/config/wireless the ApCliEnable is being reset to '0'! I have to connect via serial port to set to '1' and restart wifi. I need to sort that next!

• This is what I did to get my Omega2p (0.1.5 b130) working with SKY Q Hub using WPA2PSK/AES in UK.

Basically, after configuring the wireless connection with the wifisetup tool (from serial console) I needed to edit the /etc/config/wireless and set the country to UK and ApCliEnable to 1.

config wifi-device 'ra0'
            option type 'ralink'
            option mode '9'
            option channel 'auto'
            option txpower '100'
            option ht '20'
            option country 'UK'
            option disabled '0'

config wifi-iface
            option device 'ra0'
            option network 'wlan'
            option mode 'ap'
            option encryption 'psk2'
            option key '12345678'
            option ssid 'Omega-XXXX'
            option ApCliSsid 'SKYFECB3'
            option ApCliPassWord 'XXX'
            option ApCliEncrypType 'AES'
            option ApCliAuthMode 'WPA2PSK'
            option ApCliEnable '1'

config wifi-config
            option ssid 'SKYFECB3'
            option encryption 'WPA2PSK'
            option key 'XXX'

But every reboot I need to set ApCliEnable to 1 after I uploaded to "0.1.10 b160" version. And sometimes the wifi connects, sometimes not. Maybe I'll downgrade to "0.1.5 b130" version.

It is incredible how buggy is this device.

• @Alex-Thow, I can confirm that this is happening to me in the Omega2+ 0.1.10 b160.

• @Mikaël-PIRIO Thanks for this solution which you provided, it works for me now.

• @Diego-Sueiro and @Alex-Thow, it happens to me too in the Omega2+ 0.1.10 b160. With this firmware never boot completly and omega led is blinking all the time.
    I have installed other firmware and it works fine (led stop blinking and remain solid), saving all data and configurations but when I upgrated to last version, never works anymore.
    Any solution for this firmware @administrators ?

• Finally got my Omega2 to reliably work with Mikrotik wifi in WPA2PSK-AES mode!

Here's the trick: as discovered earlier by @Scott-Horsley the option mode 'sta' allows connecting to AP, but does not allow any useful transmission. I found out that if you switch to mode '9' (original setting) following a successful connection in mode 'sta', without reboot, it will work!

Try this on a clean Omega:

• set your SSID, password and mode with the following commands:
    uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ApCliSsid='yourssid'
    uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ApCliPassWord='yourpassword'
    uci set wireless.ra0.mode='sta'
    uci commit

• then edit /etc/rc.local to include: (before the "exit 0" line)
    /sbin/uci set wireless.ra0.mode=9
    /usr/bin/nr

Do not commit the mode=9, you need config file to remain set to mode='sta'. Reboot to try out.

Good luck!

ps. in an out-of-the-box Omega2, this will skip the installation wizard and you'll need to install the Console manually

• @Diego-Sueiro
    I finally seem to have got mine connecting to wifi now on each reboot (still can't quite believe it!).

Here's my etc/config/wireless:

config wifi-device 'ra0'
    	option type 'ralink'
    	option mode 'sta'
    	option channel 'auto'
    	option ht '20'

config wifi-iface
    	option device 'ra0'
    	option network 'wlan'
    	option mode 'ap'
    	option ssid 'Omega-831B'
    	option encryption 'psk2'
    	option key '12whatevr'
    	option ApCliAuthMode 'WPA2PSK'
    	option ApCliEncrypType 'AES'
    	option ApAuthMode 'WPA2PSK'
    	option ApCliSsid 'ap7411'
    	option ApCliPassWord '123yadayada'
    	option ApCliEnable '1'

I don't know what most of these do but they all seem to matter and the ORDER also seems to matter! (for some). Specifically ApAuthMode I tried right after key but it didn't like it!

No "config wifi-config"...reqd info is in the iface.

device mode 'sta' works for me. Could also try ap or adhoc. '9' just didn't do it for me!

Anyway, now that I've posted this it'll probably break so speak to ya soon!

• @Alex-Thow ,

Changing option mode '9' to option mode 'sta' lets the option ApCliEnable '1' to persist across reboots.

• This is beyond frustrating and idiotic . I have been modifying small routers with DD-WRT for years, setting up everything in config files, without the aid of any web or graphical interface.

I have ~15 years experience with linux and unix systems , yet for the past four days i'm banging my head against the monitor , setting up a device that is supposed to be "beginner friendly" .

This is bad engineering to say the least, and disrespect for the people who bought this device .
    Do not consider this post as a rant, but rather a wake up call for those who built and sell this device .
    Either stick to your claim that this device is beginner friendly, of say the goddam truth that even expert level will find this difficult and confusing.
    And for the love of god, write BIG on the disclaimer "WE DO NOT HAVE DOCUMENTATION" . Besides an youtube clip and some truly misleading tutorials, there is nothing useful.
    Advanced documentation on config files ? - We don't have that ! The documentation you published is NOT accurate !!

Thank you, and please excuse my angry post, but your device got me on this level ..

• @Alex-Thow I tried your config.. In my case, it doesn't work no matter what router i use ( i have 10 various routers, and i had the patience to test them all.. two times in a row ) .

So can you please elaborate a bit on your setup ?

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.