We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

iwconfig and tcpdump for omega

• I was trying to see if I can use the omega for wifi monitoring at home.
    Here are the instruction steps I took:

1. iw phy phy0 interface add mon0 type monitor
    2. ifconfig mon0 down
    3. iwconfig mon0 mode monitor

By the time I get on the 3rd step, I get an error that says iwconfig does not exist. And I can't find it through opkg.

I also saw that tcpdump doesn't exist and also not available in opkg.

Are iwconfig and tcpdump going to be available for the Omega?

Also...anyway that airmon-ng will also become available for the Omega?

Thanks! I'm really enjoying the product and this community.

• Breakthrough! I'm answering my own questions:

To be able to use the "iwconfig" command, I needed to install the wireless-tools pkg:

opkg update; opkg install wireless-tools

To be able to use the "tcpdump" command, I needed to install the tcpdump pkg:

opkg update; opkg install tcpdump

To be able to use the "airmon-ng" command, I needed to install the aircrack-ng pkg:

opkg update; opkg install aircrack-ng

• One more useful package to install:

opkg update; opkg install macchanger

Also, to use the Omega in monitoring mode, remember that you can't simultaneously monitor the network and remain in the managed mode. So that means you'll need to have a very reliable USB serial connection to the Omega to configure it back to the normal mode (i.e. managed mode).

• @Enrico-Bermudez wow! Were you able to crack any wifi passwords with aircrack-ng? LOL

• Great information! This is very similar to the first thing I did when I got my Omega! šŸ™‚

I wrote a few scripts to continuously scan for wifi access points and to give me information about how well secured all of them were. I took a 20 minute walk around my neighborhood and found hundreds of unsecured APs!

If you're interested, I tossed the scripts up in my github: https://github.com/mccollam/omega under 'wireless'.

(They're quick and dirty scripts with lots of hardcoding as I didn't feel like making something too robust, but might still be of interest.)

• @Boken-Lin , I wish I can say I'm an expert, but I'm not. heh heh. This is just a way for me to learn not only the Omega's capabilities and learn more pen testing skills on the side (and even learning more Linux). Nice exercise to find the pkgs needed though.
    @fader , Thanks for sharing. I'll have to check it out.

• @fader Nice script! Thanks for sharing šŸ™‚
    @Enrico-Bermudez Yup, that's definitely the best way to learn a platform!

• @fader Does that mean you can use packet injection using the omega2

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.