We have upgraded the community system as part of the upgrade a password reset is required for all users before login in.

Apple Home Kit

• Hey!

Is it anyhow possible to make the Omega 2 Home Kit compatible? That would be soooooo nice šŸ˜„

• @MultiDJRoni , what compatibility aspect are you interested in? The Omega 2 seems to use lots of standard features, so compatibility to them is there by default.

• @fossette said in Apple Home Kit:

@MultiDJRoni , what compatibility aspect are you interested in? The Omega 2 seems to use lots of standard features, so compatibility to them is there by default.

as much as i know you need a certification from Apple (Im not sure, but i mean i heared something like this)

• For what exactly?

• To officially build Homekit accessories, you need to enter apple's Mfi (made for iPhone) program to get access to specifications, and when you do so you'll be bound by strict NDA and cannot publish anything of the code you might develop using the information from Mfi.

On the other hand, there are a few published projects like HAP-NodeJS or Personal-Homekit-HAP which are based on reverse engineered information.

There are people already trying to make HAP-NodeJS run on OpenWrt, but that was last December and I don't know if somebody actually got it working.
    I know about a (closed source) project for a AR9331 based OpenWrt device similar to the Omega, where Personal-Homekit-HAP was used as a starting point, but they had to put in a lot of effort cleaning up that code base and fixing problems.

I've researched all this because I also would like having HomeKit on the Omega, but at this time it seems quite some effort is required to get somewhere.

• Sorry for my ignorance, but it appears that APPLE HOME KIT refers to this Apple technology:
    http://www.apple.com/ios/home/

Well, Microsoft has a similar feature for it's Windows 10, so why not Apple? The Omega2 is not even out yet, but why not let these big corporations do the work themselves? They only have to do a kernel code specific to their protocol. They certainly have the resources to do it, and have a financial incentive to have a broader hardware device coverage to offer to their users.

The big turnoff for me is that they do not seem to be interested by open architectures, so their offer would probably be a kernel replacement for the Omega 2. Personally, as I said for W10, I'm definitely not interested by that (limited) stuff, but to each his own.

So, which big corporation will be the first to develop an Omega 2 kernel for their IoT feature? Microsoft? or Apple?
    THE RACE IS ON !!! šŸ™‚

• @fossette Home kit is not a kernel problem, it could (technically) be done as a simple installable userland package, and would not be specific to the Omega at all (would run on any Linux).

But Homekit is technology Apple wants to control, so to use it you need to enter their Mfi program (that's some paperwork, but free of cost) and then build a Apple chip into every homekit enabled device you ship (and pay Apple something for the chip). This is they way homekit accessory makers like elgato, netatmo, philips etc. go.

For an open device like the Omega, using open source software, the only alternative are reverse engineered hacks like the projects I linked.

Of course, in a better world, Apple would have opensourced Homekit šŸ˜‰

• @Lukas-Zeller said in Apple Home Kit:

it could (technically) be done as a simple installable userland package, and would not be specific to the Omega at all (would run on any Linux).

That would REALLY be the ideal solution, from both Apple and Microsoft. And it would be equally nice if both solutions were used the exact same way. We call this a STANDARD PROTOCOL.

So, this future IoT Standard Protocol will come some day, but in the meantime, the closest thing we have is the Omega web interface, available on any computer with a browser (Apple, Microsoft, Android, etc...)

Looks like your connection to Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.